Hue Play HDMI Sync box

Anyone know would the HDMI switching works? eg if I have more than 1 device attached, do you need to use the app to switch devices?

No DV is a killer for me. I really don't get why they made this a switch box, or at least provide some choice. Considering the not so glowing reviews I may buy one on the second-hand market :) and put it in the second output of my amp to try and not make it interfere with my otherwise as good as a perfect setup.

Anyone know would the HDMI switching works? eg if I have more than 1 device attached, do you need to use the app to switch devices?
It auto switches HDMI, see here:

It auto switches HDMI, see here:

Thanks, that's a bit impractical but it says you can plug the output of soundbar/amp into the unit then into the TV, so that's good.

It's a shame they didn't make a smaller, cheaper, 1 in/out HDMI unit for the people with soundbar/amps, which would probably be a high percentage of their market.

Last edited:
Cheers, far too much money though for what it is, it'll be £99 next Black Friday! 👁
Agreed, I want one but not paying £229 for it.

I just received my UK Hue Play Sync box. Pretty easy to set up, and it seems to pass through HDMI-CEC commands, and I don’t see any lip sync issues (I have all devices plugged into an AV amp and then the hue box between the amp’s output and the TV).

However I am occasionally getting black bars (1 or 2 pixels high) across the screen for a frame or two. I.E. flickering black streaks. Obviously that would make the box a no-no.

Anyone else getting the same glitches?

James

Is it a Samsung TV? Lot of reports of problems with Samsung TVs and data rates over 10Gbps.

No, a Panasonic plasma that’s been working fine for 9 years (wow, time goes fast!). It’s running the same inputs as always, Apple TV and TiVo mainly, HD not 4K. Not tried it with the Nintendo switch yet.

Another observation... I set the entertainment area to switch back to a dim light when sync stops. But during normal TV viewing I occasionally get that happen for a few seconds, like the hub lost the sync signal. Very jarring, so I set the entertainment areas to “do nothing” when sync stops.

I've had mine for a couple of days and so far it works well, no drop outs or other issues

I also was so excited about this I splashed out on the triple pack of light bars (approx £100 - Black Friday), to go behind the TV and hook up with my existing bridge and bulbs. What I hadn't though about was; I watch most of my UHD content via the smart apps on my C8, which of course would not provide a HDMI input for the sync box, rendering it no good for that purpose. Sure, I can feed regular tv and some 4k from my TiVo box into it, plus my PS Pro could also supply Netflix & Prime feeds, but I really don't want to go through the faff of booting that up every time. Can anybody think of a viable workaround? Maybe any cheap LG UHD Blu Ray player with apps, so it will just switch on with the tv, also fed through the sync box.
Thanks.

I have had this installed for about a week or so.... Mixed emotions regarding my current set up - I have the Samsung QLED with the Q90r sound bar... All my devices (Apple, CATV box & XBOX) have to connect to the Samsung One Connect Box before using their one cable connection to the TV... Hue wants to have all those devices plugged into their HDMI box to gain the benefit of monitoring the HDMI signal before it hits the TV...

Problem with that is you have to use the HUE Sync app to switch between devices... just like adding another remote to the whole process... clumsy design with respect to the Samsung set up...

Anyone else out there have a similar situation with advice?

Im enjoying mine so far. I'm using the 2nd HDMI out from my amp to feed the box and I bought a 4K fire stick to replace my TV apps. Im now just using the play bars behind the TV because having all the bulbs in the lounge sync to the box seemed to introduce a bit of lag and also was too distracting!

Is anyone using it with just the Hue strip lights behind? If so, any chance of a posting a vid as a demo?

Im enjoying mine so far. I'm using the 2nd HDMI out from my amp to feed the box and I bought a 4K fire stick to replace my TV apps. Im now just using the play bars behind the TV because having all the bulbs in the lounge sync to the box seemed to introduce a bit of lag and also was too distracting!

Excellent news. Many thanks for this. Am i correct in thinking you have your 2nd hdmi out from your receiver plugged into the sync box, switch inputs on your receiver, and dont have your tv plugged into the output of the hue box? So you are using the hue box like a 'dongle' almost, with no video output from it?

Excellent news. Many thanks for this. Am i correct in thinking you have your 2nd hdmi out from your receiver plugged into the sync box, switch inputs on your receiver, and dont have your tv plugged into the output of the hue box? So you are using the hue box like a 'dongle' almost, with no video output from it?
Correct. I have no output from sync box at all. I have everything working exactly as before with no issues

I have just purchased the sync box & it would appear their is no arc pass through for a return of my TV apps to my receiver. I can live without having the lights for Netflix & YouTube however it does not even pass the sound back through it just seems to block the signal. Potentially a deal breaker & a return of the box. Does anyone have any suggestions please ?

I have just purchased the sync box & it would appear their is no arc pass through for a return of my TV apps to my receiver. I can live without having the lights for Netflix & YouTube however it does not even pass the sound back through it just seems to block the signal. Potentially a deal breaker & a return of the box. Does anyone have any suggestions please ?
Don't use the apps on the TV and get the excellent Apple TV 4K instead :)

Thank you for the advice however that is another $160 plus subscription for something I already have (with DV & HDR10 already). I would have expected a box costing $230 to be able to deal with an arc signal even if it is limited to just audio on the way back to the receiver. I will of course look at the Apple TV option but expense has to be factored into my consideration. Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated.

Thank you for the advice however that is another $160 plus subscription for something I already have (with DV & HDR10 already). I would have expected a box costing $230 to be able to deal with an arc signal even if it is limited to just audio on the way back to the receiver. I will of course look at the Apple TV option but expense has to be factored into my consideration. Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated.
you probably have already, but have you gone into the settings and activated arc pass through etc? If I recall correctly all those settings were “off” when I was exploring the app?

Thanks for your advice. I have tried that. Although I got the pass through to work once it seems very temperamental indeed. Probably going to have to go with Apple TV 4K in order to get the signal to move the right way ! Shame really, you would ha e hoped Philips would have had this sorted as it is not unusual to have smart apps on your TV hooked to a Receiver. Thanks again for the advice !

Just got this today. Literally took me around 3 hours to get this working with an lg c7 and sony strDN1080. I am now able sync music and videos with both shield and apple tv but it takes WAY too much tinkering to get everything going. May have to return it.

Is anyone finding that have to keep plugging out and rebooting the box for it to reconnect after a few hours?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom