Quantcast

Hue Play HDMI Sync box

jameselson

Standard Member
I just received my UK Hue Play Sync box. Pretty easy to set up, and it seems to pass through HDMI-CEC commands, and I don’t see any lip sync issues (I have all devices plugged into an AV amp and then the hue box between the amp’s output and the TV).

However I am occasionally getting black bars (1 or 2 pixels high) across the screen for a frame or two. I.E. flickering black streaks. Obviously that would make the box a no-no.

Anyone else getting the same glitches?

James

jameselson

Standard Member
No, a Panasonic plasma that’s been working fine for 9 years (wow, time goes fast!). It’s running the same inputs as always, Apple TV and TiVo mainly, HD not 4K. Not tried it with the Nintendo switch yet.

jameselson

Standard Member
Another observation... I set the entertainment area to switch back to a dim light when sync stops. But during normal TV viewing I occasionally get that happen for a few seconds, like the hub lost the sync signal. Very jarring, so I set the entertainment areas to “do nothing” when sync stops.

RichieB1973

Standard Member
I also was so excited about this I splashed out on the triple pack of light bars (approx £100 - Black Friday), to go behind the TV and hook up with my existing bridge and bulbs. What I hadn't though about was; I watch most of my UHD content via the smart apps on my C8, which of course would not provide a HDMI input for the sync box, rendering it no good for that purpose. Sure, I can feed regular tv and some 4k from my TiVo box into it, plus my PS Pro could also supply Netflix & Prime feeds, but I really don't want to go through the faff of booting that up every time. Can anybody think of a viable workaround? Maybe any cheap LG UHD Blu Ray player with apps, so it will just switch on with the tv, also fed through the sync box.
Thanks.

KevinAV

Novice Member
I have had this installed for about a week or so.... Mixed emotions regarding my current set up - I have the Samsung QLED with the Q90r sound bar... All my devices (Apple, CATV box & XBOX) have to connect to the Samsung One Connect Box before using their one cable connection to the TV... Hue wants to have all those devices plugged into their HDMI box to gain the benefit of monitoring the HDMI signal before it hits the TV...

Problem with that is you have to use the HUE Sync app to switch between devices... just like adding another remote to the whole process... clumsy design with respect to the Samsung set up...

Anyone else out there have a similar situation with advice?

CHOMPO

Standard Member
Im enjoying mine so far. I'm using the 2nd HDMI out from my amp to feed the box and I bought a 4K fire stick to replace my TV apps. Im now just using the play bars behind the TV because having all the bulbs in the lounge sync to the box seemed to introduce a bit of lag and also was too distracting!

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Is anyone using it with just the Hue strip lights behind? If so, any chance of a posting a vid as a demo?

LexLoofah

Novice Member
Im enjoying mine so far. I'm using the 2nd HDMI out from my amp to feed the box and I bought a 4K fire stick to replace my TV apps. Im now just using the play bars behind the TV because having all the bulbs in the lounge sync to the box seemed to introduce a bit of lag and also was too distracting!
Excellent news. Many thanks for this. Am i correct in thinking you have your 2nd hdmi out from your receiver plugged into the sync box, switch inputs on your receiver, and dont have your tv plugged into the output of the hue box? So you are using the hue box like a 'dongle' almost, with no video output from it?

CHOMPO

Standard Member
Excellent news. Many thanks for this. Am i correct in thinking you have your 2nd hdmi out from your receiver plugged into the sync box, switch inputs on your receiver, and dont have your tv plugged into the output of the hue box? So you are using the hue box like a 'dongle' almost, with no video output from it?
Correct. I have no output from sync box at all. I have everything working exactly as before with no issues

tmof

Novice Member
I have just purchased the sync box & it would appear their is no arc pass through for a return of my TV apps to my receiver. I can live without having the lights for Netflix & YouTube however it does not even pass the sound back through it just seems to block the signal. Potentially a deal breaker & a return of the box. Does anyone have any suggestions please ?

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I have just purchased the sync box & it would appear their is no arc pass through for a return of my TV apps to my receiver. I can live without having the lights for Netflix & YouTube however it does not even pass the sound back through it just seems to block the signal. Potentially a deal breaker & a return of the box. Does anyone have any suggestions please ?
Don't use the apps on the TV and get the excellent Apple TV 4K instead :)

tmof

Novice Member
Thank you for the advice however that is another $160 plus subscription for something I already have (with DV & HDR10 already). I would have expected a box costing $230 to be able to deal with an arc signal even if it is limited to just audio on the way back to the receiver. I will of course look at the Apple TV option but expense has to be factored into my consideration. Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated.

CHOMPO

Standard Member
Thank you for the advice however that is another $160 plus subscription for something I already have (with DV & HDR10 already). I would have expected a box costing $230 to be able to deal with an arc signal even if it is limited to just audio on the way back to the receiver. I will of course look at the Apple TV option but expense has to be factored into my consideration. Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated.
you probably have already, but have you gone into the settings and activated arc pass through etc? If I recall correctly all those settings were “off” when I was exploring the app?

tmof

Novice Member
Thanks for your advice. I have tried that. Although I got the pass through to work once it seems very temperamental indeed. Probably going to have to go with Apple TV 4K in order to get the signal to move the right way ! Shame really, you would ha e hoped Philips would have had this sorted as it is not unusual to have smart apps on your TV hooked to a Receiver. Thanks again for the advice !

KingBaka

Just got this today. Literally took me around 3 hours to get this working with an lg c7 and sony strDN1080. I am now able sync music and videos with both shield and apple tv but it takes WAY too much tinkering to get everything going. May have to return it.

FarleyUK

I have several issues with my new HDMI sync box.... and it’s driving me nuts. I have a Denon x2600 connected to it, with multiple devices in the Denon.

1. When I play the Xbox and then switch back to tv, ARC doesn’t work unless I disable and reenable sync.

2. Is there a way to have it select the sync mode automatically? I’m guessing not.... so...

3. ... is it better to connect everything to the sync box and then the Denon? Can I set it to automatically select the input of the device that’s turned on.

just seems incredibly flakey it the minute - but when it works, it’s awesome!

Geebsie

Novice Member
Installed one of these on Friday - my setup is Sky Q, PS4 and Sony UBPX700 > Marantz NR1608 Receiver > Sync Box > Sony Bravia.

At first I was wondering why the colours weren’t really correlating with what was on screen on the PS4, until I noticed the Sky Q box was still turned on and the colours I was seeing from whatever programming was running through it.

When I turn off the Sky Q box I get no syncing with the PS4 or UBPX700 whatsoever and it doesn’t seem to matter what is turned on/off and in what sequence - the Sync Box only wishes to talk to the Sky Q box. Anyone else with similar issues?

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Installed one of these on Friday - my setup is Sky Q, PS4 and Sony UBPX700 > Marantz NR1608 Receiver > Sync Box > Sony Bravia.

At first I was wondering why the colours weren’t really correlating with what was on screen on the PS4, until I noticed the Sky Q box was still turned on and the colours I was seeing from whatever programming was running through it.

When I turn off the Sky Q box I get no syncing with the PS4 or UBPX700 whatsoever and it doesn’t seem to matter what is turned on/off and in what sequence - the Sync Box only wishes to talk to the Sky Q box. Anyone else with similar issues?
So if I understand it, your Sync box only has one input taken directly from the AV receiver, yet when the AV had the PS4 input passing through the sync box to TV, it was still instead somehow reading the Sky Q signal?

Have you tried the other way, have the Sky/Ps4/UBPX700 going into the hue box, then that go into the AV receiver and that to TV?

Geebsie

Novice Member
Thanks - that routing is going to be my next step but probably won't get a chance to try it until the weekend. It's frustrating as while I know this will, all being well, solve the issue and give me the added functionality of Music Sync, I've got all the various HDMI inputs labelled in my receiver and quite liked the idea of the Sync Box effectively just being a switch between my TV and receiver with no further rewiring going on. Will report back as to how matters progress.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Thanks - that routing is going to be my next step but probably won't get a chance to try it until the weekend. It's frustrating as while I know this will, all being well, solve the issue and give me the added functionality of Music Sync, I've got all the various HDMI inputs labelled in my receiver and quite liked the idea of the Sync Box effectively just being a switch between my TV and receiver with no further rewiring going on. Will report back as to how matters progress.
I don't know if it's the solution, just curious as to what will work as like you, (if I get one eventually) I was planning on having the sync box between AV and TV will all other inputs handles by the AV receiver.

dave77

I was hoping to set mine up the same way. That doesn't make sense to me, surely the sync box will only see what the receiver is outputting, which will be the same as what hits the TV

Geebsie

Novice Member
Likewise and I initially attributed the fact that what I was light-sync-colour wise was not reflecting what was on my screen when using the PS4 was down to a fault: it was when I realised that when I switched off the Sky Q box that I got a nil return for any synced lighting at all. Very odd because as you say, the receiver output is what passes through to the TV.

Geebsie

Novice Member
So I've just rewired everything to be Sources > Sync Box > Receiver > TV. What a difference - feels far more stable and responsive. Still got to rename the sources on my receiver and having a remote control for the Sync Box would be handy, but it's OK!

Trending threads

Latest News

Dolby Atmos Music comes to Tidal streaming service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung TVs unexpectedly losing access to BBC iPlayer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins to release updated Formation Home app in 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 2000 Pro Series subwoofers