Question Hue Motion Detector - in the bog

Reaction score
OK so I've gone Hue mad.

I was thinking of putting a Hue light bulb in the downstairs bog. You would simply open the door and the light would come on. It would obviously detect your motion (stop sniggering at the back).

Problem is, as I see it, if I take root in there with the Racing Post, and the light goes out, do I have to wave at it to get it to come back on?

I know I can set it to stay on for, say, 10 minutes, but that then seems excessive if you're just popping in for a quick number one.

Has anyone fitted one for this purpose, and how are you getting on with it?

I've got one in my bathroom and I'll defenitely add one to the downstairs loo when I build the extension and actually have a downstairs loo.

The lights fade slightly lower before they go off giving plenty of warning to move. In a small room you'd have to be very still to not trigger the sensor anyway so I don't see it being a problem anyway.

I think that this a case of form over function way too far. How are you going to control your extractor fan in the loo? Or do you not have one and just light matches? Personally I’d rather exhaust the odours and not have an automatic light bulb?

Yep, have one that controls our downstairs WC as the light switch is in the utility room so visitors could never find it.

Works well IMO

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I think that this a case of form over function way too far. How are you going to control your extractor fan in the loo? Or do you not have one and just light matches? Personally I’d rather exhaust the odours and not have an automatic light bulb?
That is a very good point - I hadn't thought of that!

One of these could control the fan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FBD96DG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cLyACb75B342B

I've just fitted one to a floodlight outside and it's working well.
Now we have spent over £50 (hue bulb and zigbee controller) solving a problem that didn’t exist for the sake of using a £3 pull switch and you still have to wave your arms to stop it turning the lights off which kind of defeats the purpose of HA. There are better tools to provide a more elegant solution.

Auto lighting in the loos does also allow them to be controlled centrally, so a forgotten light gets switched off as you leave the house and switch security on. Our loo lights are the most left-on lights in the house thanks to 3 young boys.

We have them on a 10 minute timer. It's not quite 0.1p of electricity.

The motion sensor also boosts the ventilation and activates the hot water re-circulation pump (for a couple of minutes.)

Yup, motion sensing works well if you have young children that either can’t reach the light switch, or forget to turn lights off.
Also allows for adjustments to light output at different times of day, which is great at night so that my young daughter can take herself to the loo without fumbling for light switches.
We have motion sensors throughout the hallways and loos of the house for exactly that reason.

Last edited:
Also allows for adjustments to light output at different times of day,

That's a really good point, scheduled scenes that put on low level light for late-night loo (and kitchen) visits. I'd almost forgotten our lighting scenes are set up like this.

In my house the lights in the hall and downstairs loo are simple motion sensing type, no-one has to worry about finding light switches and small children don't need to reach for switches. They even enjoy watching the light go out if they stand still long enough.

I've got one doing exactly this, I've set it to one minute before switching off; but if you're in there longer, it doesn't turn off immediately, it just fades a bit. So just wave a hand or your head and it comes back on. It's fine. Also, between 10:30pm and 7:30am I've set it to come on dimmer.

On the Hue App, if you visit the Hue Labs link you will see (on the "home" page) the temperature being measured by the motion sensor!

I don't know why the main app doesn't show this interesting bit of info. But I don't really "get" what Hue Labs is to be honest, why not put the whole thing inside the main app?

for the downstairs loo i bought a cheap (£7) motion sensing bulb, couldnt face spending on a motion sensor and hue bulb - i do have to wave my arm occasionally and its a bright white light - but i dont spend much time in there anyway

I have been using a hue sensor in our downstairs bathroom for well over a year and works brilliantly. Installed this when our extractor fan died. Replaced the fan with this that took care of the issue mentioned earlier. Really happy with the setup and so far not one complaint.

Vents 100 Silenta MTP K Silent a Bathroom Extractor Fan, PIR Movement Sensor, Energy Saving and Quiet-100mm (4"), 7 W, 240 V, Brilliant White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYTOSB1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dJWACb30PA95N

Isn't this the job for a door open/close sensor? You only need to cover 2 states

Door closed > open > closed? Light comes on until next door open event is sensed

or

Door already open > closed? Light comes on until door open event is sensed

Fan on a timer which comes on with the light. Small timeout on the reset for the door sensor.

Theres only one scenario where theres a queue to use the loo where this doesn't work but in the vast majority of situations would think that would work?

G

Isn't this the job for a door open/close sensor? You only need to cover 2 states

Door closed > open > closed? Light comes on until next door open event is sensed

or

Door already open > closed? Light comes on until door open event is sensed

Fan on a timer which comes on with the light. Small timeout on the reset for the door sensor.

Theres only one scenario where theres a queue to use the loo where this doesn't work but in the vast majority of situations would think that would work?

G

Valid logic although one has to consider
1. The OP has a broader HA system whereby they have a hub capable of integrating a door sensor to a existing Hue setup
2. Handling ambient light. A Hue sensor will only activate the light when light level is below the desired threshold. Furthermore, the hue sensor can set the bulb to full brightness for evening and a x% for late night early hours.

I love the concept of open/close sensors and use them myself but for a hue exclusive setup, it’s a lot more work and cost vs £35 for a hue sensor.

Valid logic although one has to consider
1. The OP has a broader HA system whereby they have a hub capable of integrating a door sensor to a existing Hue setup
2. Handling ambient light. A Hue sensor will only activate the light when light level is below the desired threshold. Furthermore, the hue sensor can set the bulb to full brightness for evening and a x% for late night early hours.

I love the concept of open/close sensors and use them myself but for a hue exclusive setup, it’s a lot more work and cost vs £35 for a hue sensor.

Yeh very true. I'm on a roll today with assumption. Think I should go back to bed!

G

In my house the lights in the hall and downstairs loo are simple motion sensing type, no-one has to worry about finding light switches and small children don't need to reach for switches. They even enjoy watching the light go out if they stand still long enough.
I have a motion sensor on the landing for automated lighting - my 5yr old lad is convinced I can perform magic if I'm sitting with him in the bathroom, the landing light goes off and I stick my hand out the door with a 'shazam' and it comes back on :D

The only light we use a switch for now is the bedroom when we go to sleep, all of the others are hue automated using these sensors or IFTTT, including outside.
The sensor in the hall/loo thing is actually really handy - we set ours to come on very dim and very warm white at night so as not to wake you, but searing blue white during the day. works well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom