• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hue dimmer switches acting up

anticlaus105

I have around 7 hue dimmer switches and 28 bulbs. They have been rock solid until recently. I noticed one switch wasn't very responsive. When pressing a button the led would flash a few different colours and nothing would happen. After a couple more attempts it would work. I thought maybe this switch had a low battery. Now other switches are showing the same behaviour.

Is this a low battery issue or something else?

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've had similar things a couple of times with some of my switches. For me a 4 finger reset resolves the issue everytime. Basically press and hold all 4 buttons until the LED goes green, it'll them cycle the colours and reboot itself, your programming is on the bridge so you won't lose your configuration doing this.

If that doesn't help it could be an interference issue as ZigBee uses the same area of the spectrum as 2.4Ghz WiFi, there is an option to use a different ZigBee channel which might be your next port of call. I couldn't comment on that as I've never felt the need to change mine

anticlaus105

Thanks. It took the 4 button reset method to set them up first time. For whatever reason they all refused to pair and the rest button didn't work. I'll give it shot and see if it helps.

anticlaus105

I did the 4 button reset and the issue seemed to go away for a while. It's back now and I've noticed it's just on the off button on one dimmer. The on and dimmer buttons still work but when I press the off button the led cycles and nothing happens.

Anyone know why it keeps going bad and why only on the off button?

EDIT: I noticed while investigating if nearer my wifi hotspot it starts to work. I thought it connected to the bulbs in mesh network. Could it be a low battery? I only installed it at the start of this year.

Last edited:

SavorettiMoretti

I did the 4 button reset and the issue seemed to go away for a while. It's back now and I've noticed it's just on the off button on one dimmer. The on and dimmer buttons still work but when I press the off button the led cycles and nothing happens.

Anyone know why it keeps going bad and why only on the off button?

EDIT: I noticed while investigating if nearer my wifi hotspot it starts to work. I thought it connected to the bulbs in mesh network. Could it be a low battery? I only installed it at the start of this year.
I’ve had the same issue recently, I put the hub in my AV cabinet and it started to cause my dimmers to be unresponsive. I’ve taken it out and put in a better position, now resolved.

I did also think it connected in a mesh

sjw

I'd have expected it to be worse nearer a hotspot due to possible interference.
They do communicate using zigbee and a mesh setup which is also on 2.4GHz like (most) Wifi.
Try changing the zigbee channel (from the official app it's in the Settings - Hue bridges - i - and is at the bottom).
I assume this is similar logic to changing your WiFi channel to a less congested one (between 1, 6 & 11).
My Bridge is on the default 15.

MaryWhitehouse

Excuse the obvious but have you replaced the batteries?

Markr123

Also just double check the firmware and software updates are all done. Furthermore, I find just restarting the hub once now and again helps. Perhaps once every 2 months I find.
I have circa 46 bulbs and around 26 accessories (switches and sensors). I now run these across multiple hubs: x1 upstairs, x1 downstairs and x1 for garage and garden. 99.something % it’s spot on but I do find a particular switch has a tendency to play up now and again. Ironically this is one of the ones closest to the related hub.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom