Hue dimmer switch replacing dimmer knob

duffpaddy2014

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m getting my kitchen spotlights upgraded from GU5 Halogen to GU10 Hue LED. I will be using Hue dimmer switches. The current lights have the attached dimmer plate and knob (dimensions 85mm width & length).

The hue dimmer switch dimensions are 8.8 x 7.5 x 16.5 cm.

What are your suggestions to make the changeover so that it’s safe and looks well? I’m happy to just get a blank plate that covers the existing hole but I’d like one which integrates the hue dimmer switch.

The ones I’ve seen online go over the existing flick switches but I don’t have that style and I’ve no need to keep that dimmer knob anymore.

Attachments

• 907F1CEC-69CF-4FAD-97D2-9B5391862923.jpeg
    907F1CEC-69CF-4FAD-97D2-9B5391862923.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 32
Replace the dimmer with a normal on/off switch and then cover it with a plate able to hold the hue dimmer switch.
The alternative is removal of the dimmer and wiring the lights into a permanently on state and covering the hole with a blanking plate (I personally don’t like that option)

It's definitely not recommended to keep a dimmer switch when you fit Hue. The bulbs can be damaged if you do.

The problem with the Hue dimmer is its not sized to fit UK sockets. The 3rd party plates you can get all seem a little awkward looking as well.

Personally I use a double gang screwless blanking plate to cover over where the switch used to be. I had to modify the mounting plate so it fits vertically over a single gang back box. The hue dimmer and supplied mount just stick straight on the front.

I've also got a few switches that fit over a double gang light switch which means the switch is actually orientated horizontally. I used a label maker to cover over the labels on the buttons (and a 3rd party app to program the switch so I'm not restricted to using what Philips think the buttons should do)
20200219_124839.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom