1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hubs enough :) connection question. :)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by smee, Jan 12, 2003.

1. smee

smee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just fitted my new TH 42pwd5b to day. oh it's pretty. I got a AV hub with it and found that it didnt like the fact that if S-video and scart were pluged in. I have ended up having to use a manual switching box with my sky and DVD pluged in with scart. this give me a good picture, but i think that s-video would give me a far superior picture.

Is there a hub that can handle varying s-video, scart and comp. or is it a thing that they all have the problem of not being able to handle varying type's outputed via s video.,

I had the black and white happening when i had varing connection on the hub. and found the solution was to have them all go through scart and a manual switching box.

I dont want to update to sky + or buy a £500 sony box. Is there a hub that anyone can suggest that would fulfill my requirements and would like to have at least my DVD coming through s video.

any help would be happy recieved. and i hope that was clear.

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure what you mean by a hub. Do you mean a switching device? Remember these don't do format conversion they just switch the paths of the cables.

If you want a good svideo switching device look at gettnig a second hand Sony 930 amplifer, they are often on the trade forums. They are outstanding sounds wise and will do svideo switching without any issues.

Did you buy the tuner?

Interms of picture quality:

component>rgb>svideo>composite>RF

SCART is just a connector type that carries the above signals. If you want to connect your SKY box to the panny your best bet is an RGB convertor from http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/ I suspect at the moment your SKY picture is via composite. If the panny has a composite and an svideo source plugged in it disables the composite port infavour of svideo.

Depending on the outputs from your DVD player I'd go for:

dvd plugged into sky loop socket -> RGBTOComponent->Plasma

Regards,
    Neil.

3. smee

smee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no I didnt buy the turner, I thought the price that they were asking for just the turner board was a bit of a **** taker.

The manual switching box just has 4 scart connections and 2 composite output's. I had this from year's ago. It's a push the button type.

The AV selector (hub/ switch ) is from philex electronics that i have and that's gone back in the box.

So you think that composite is better than svideo. errmmm

My DVD wont accecpt sky as a connection shame. :( so that aint a solution.

4. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Take a look at the BT945 (replacement for the 941).

It's available now from several supplier including Keene. I don't have one (yet), but several people rated the 941, so...

Rob.