Huawei P30 Pro Review & Comments

I've just ordered the huawei mate 20 x with flipcover and pen. I currently have a mate 9 and still going strong after well over 2 years! But I do believe samsung s10 plus is the better overall phone and camera. Huawei kills it in night time shots

For yeeears i had Samsung Galaxy models until P20 Pro,its hard to go back to Samsung after this expirience...

I've had many samsungs and currently have a huawei. I certainly could go back to samsung, for me samsung is overall better. But huawei phones offer great value for money. Like the mate 20 pro can be picked up for £499.

The review states "Are smartphone cameras as good as SLRs?" and "It’s speedy and responsive".

Hopefully this question doesn't come across as a bit snarky... :)

One thing that always irks me about non-SLR/DSLR/SLT cameras is the (lack of) speed of the shutter (or equivalent).

Anyway, the question... Exactly how "speedy" and "responsive" is the "shutter" on this phone?

I hate how the US are trying to basically beat Huawei by embargos etc rather than trying to innovate. I really want a Huawei once my Note 8 contract runs out in October, hopefully some headway will have been made regarding this ridiculous trade war.

I still have nagging doubts about how much these and other Chinese phones will receive in terms of support. Donald Trump is a bit of a wildcard, and seems to blow hot and cold on issues like those that have affected Huawei recently. I’m not sure that I’d want to take out a contract and be stuck with a whizzy phone that wasn’t getting security features or new updates. Then again, I think that all mobile phones are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. I”d be happy if I could find a wireless charging back for my wife’s old Samsung S5 that I’m now using after my Sony phone died recently. I only got ~5 years use out of that!

Clem

I had iPhones upto the 4s, than Samsung galaxy phones, went for a Huawei mate 20 pro and its an absolute stonking piece of kit, amazing battery and camera, and does everything effortlessly, the p30 Pro should have a 4k screen like the mate 20 pro in my opinion, I'm looking forward to seeing what the mate 30 pro offers later in the year

The P30 Pro really doesn’t feel lacking in the screen department to be honest. Maybe I’d feel different if I was comparing it to an iPhone XS Max rather than my XS but the lack of resolution just isn’t noticeable to me. The screen is fantastic and being lower res means the battery lasts even longer (best battery I’ve had on a phone)

The P30 Pro really doesn’t feel lacking in the screen department to be honest. Maybe I’d feel different if I was comparing it to an iPhone XS Max rather than my XS but the lack of resolution just isn’t noticeable to me. The screen is fantastic and being lower res means the battery lasts even longer (best battery I’ve had on a phone)
Yeah the battery was the biggest draw for me in going for the mate 20 pro, and coming from a Samsung s8 plus the battery is ridiculously good, and charged from 0 to 70 percent in about half an hour, and that's easily enough to last the day.

I have had iPhone's for years nothing really new each year so I thought I would try the mate as I could get one on a 12month contract. and I must say they are a fantastic phone from the inside to the out no wonder the u.s don't want to have them in their country..

regards o..

Had a P20 Pro and loved it, battery life was fantastic.

Purchased a sim free Galaxy S10 on launch (Got it on a work discount for £630 with earbuds), while it's a cracking phone the battery life isn't great. Fingerprint sensor is ok but not as good as I'd like and I really miss the low light performance I had on the P20 Pro.

Ordered the P30 Pro today, £35 a month (Unlimited Mins, Texts and Data on Vodafone with Spotify included) from mobilephonesdirect. Comes with the free GT smartwatch and £45 cashback on TCB.

While the screen isn't quite as good as S10, while trying it in store the fingerprint scanner is noticeably better. Also looking forward to having that insane battery life and camera performance back.

Last edited:
I don’t need any of the awesomeness of the 30 Pro.

I don’t even need the power of my current iPhone 7 Plus.

But the Huawei is my next phone.

It looks awesome and that camera is worth it even for the very few photos I take. Also I love new toys.

And I’m tired of Apples blandness in all things and especially the gaping cut out in the new screens.

Along with many American things, I think apple have lost it and the future belongs to China sooner or later. And I doubt later.

Coming from the iPhone X I immediately thought, hmmmmm. Used to it now but watching the odd TV/films, it's definitely lacking to my eyes

However, its bloody brilliant in almost every other way. Using Nova launcher helps with some Huawei oddities.

Completely happy that it'll be supported for as long as I need the phone. If it all goes boobies up then Oppo is my next choice. Samsung can go do one.

I went to buy this phone, but was surprised that it does not do video or pictures in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Sure one could crop to achieve the 16:9 aspect ratio, but I am not prepared to do that for pictures from a phone.

I went to buy this phone, but was surprised that it does not do video or pictures in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Sure one could crop to achieve the 16:9 aspect ratio, but I am not prepared to do that for pictures from a phone.
Most phone screens are not 16:9 aspect ratio these days, I have no trouble uploading my photos to snapfish to get printed out etc, why are you so keen on that aspect ratio?

The phone does full screen for photos and does do 16:9 video.

Screenshot_20190720_102336_com.huawei.camera.jpg

Screenshot_20190720_102423_com.huawei.camera.jpg

While the screen isn’t bad, it’s definitely not a 9/10. The S10+ is very noticeably a lot better, so no way there’s only a 1 point difference between them. Turning the P30 Pro on for the first time, I noticed the difference instantly.

Great Review, Thanks! I'd plumped fror P20 pro just before the P30 came out, after a couple of Sony models, never flagships, mind, I was blown away with the P20. Trump, Apple,Sony and Samsung can take a running jump, as far as I'm concerned! The camera, which I'm still getting used to gives mostly better results than my Canon compact, battery life is outstanding, and charge time great too. Initially, wasn't too happy at not having standard 3.5mm headphone jack, but easily overcome with cheapo adapters. So, all in all, very pleased with Huawei, if they branch out into TV's AV etc, and do as well, Korea, Japan will have a serious worry! I'd buy Huawei again without hesitation! Great phone! :thumbsup::D

I just want a cheapie phone, something that makes decent phone calls (how last century), sends/receive sms texts, WhatsApp and takes a reasonable piccie, but I don’t use my phone as a camera. Easy. But, I also want ip67/68 protection, wireless charging and WiFi calling, which means that I have to pay large. Given that I think mobile phones are way overpriced for what they are, I think that I’ll be waiting a while yet for my next handset.

Clem

Most phone screens are not 16:9 aspect ratio these days, I have no trouble uploading my photos to snapfish to get printed out etc, why are you so keen on that aspect ratio?

I show my phone pictures / movies on the tv and want the 16:9 ratio for that reason, and pleased to be proven wrong by InvisableKid that it exists for video. Ironic as I was at the Huawei shop today after seeing this review and the sales person didnt think to indicate that there was 16:9 aspect ratio for video.

Encoding in H.265 is great

Last edited:
I have IPhones, then Samsung’s and moved to Huawei 3 years ago and bought the Huawei P9 lite. I paid €279 loved the phone and worked perfectly.
The P30lite came out here in Luxembourg in May this year and I bought it for €319. 64GB and has room for a sim and a memory card.
Works like lightning and unless I win the Lotto (I don’t play) I can never see myself paying those ridiculous prices close to €1000.
I have a sim only contract for €5 per month (since October 2014 (grandfathered in today’s price is €10) for 1000mb and use about 600mb as WiFi at home.

I have IPhones, then Samsung’s and moved to Huawei 3 years ago and bought the Huawei P9 lite. I paid €279 loved the phone and worked perfectly.
The P30lite came out here in Luxembourg in May this year and I bought it for €319. 64GB and has room for a sim and a memory card.
Works like lightning and unless I win the Lotto (I don’t play) I can never see myself paying those ridiculous prices close to €1000.
I have a sim only contract for €5 per month (since October 2014 (grandfathered in today’s price is €10) for 1000mb and use about 600mb as WiFi at home.

Pretty good data usage that!

I use 5-8GB a month on 4G alone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom