Huawei P20 Pro Smartphone Review & Comments

Good review, slight knit pick on the camera part, it uses a quad bayer sensor, so on the standard setting (10mp) combines 4 colour pixels to create each pixel, or for HDR can take 2 exposures at the same time (not one after the other very quickly).
Its a shame that Nokia didn't make much noise about their clear black display when it came out (polariser filter), as there OLED screens had none of the issues of off axis colour.

Wish I would have held off on my Mate 10 Pro and got this now.

Not that I dislike my Mate 10 Pro. Still an awesome piece of kit.

Decent review. Huawei were in my workplace last week to demo this and the photos were fantastic. A few small things I found curious about this review though:

The 3rd lens is a 5 times zoom, not ' 3 times the other lenses'
No mention of the supposed ability to take hand held long exposure shots that the phone AI is supposed to create for you.
Battery life barely mentions when other reviews have said it's exemplary.
Call an voice quality is a metric scored but barely mentioned whereas battery life isn't a scoring metric? Seems odd in this day and age where a lot of people don't make many calls but battery life is a major concern.

couldn't justify it at 799.

Here's a thought. Huawei seem to intent in copying Apple in the design, they should just slap a fake Apple logo on the back, then when not-so-bright customers go looking to buy an iPhoneX, they might just pick up one of these instead and not realise the difference. It's embarrassing what Huawei have done here. I'm sure it's quick, and the camera is great, but including a notch as well - a feature on the X that was pretty much universally derided - is just unbelievable, and the crazy thing is, others are doing it as well! Individuality and unique identity are long gone.

Plagiarism is truly obnoxious. Why is it so many phone makers seem unable to do anything other than steal Apple designs? It's comically blatant in this case. Huawei's marketing even mirrors Apple's pretty much exactly.

If you want an iPhone X then buy an iPhone X. Anyone who buys junk like this is just exacerbating the problem and enabling the thieves.

It’s good to see how much they’ve come on. Whilst I’m happy with iOS and how it integrates with my other devices; if I was in the market for an Android based device I would give this serious consideration.

You could argue that Apple copied every other Android OEM, when they released the bigger iPhone 6. A large rectangle shape with curved edges? That never happened until Apple thought of it in 2014...

Dat notch for 799 lol
They are using even the worst things from Apple also.
Why is there no call quality review, or network reception review if you will? Phones are not phones anymore, just portable game consoles and mini computers?

I have a Huawei P9 and hardware-wise it's wonderful, it's their version of Android that lets it down. You have to manage which apps gets closed when the screen is locked and which are allowed to keep running; this is a total PITA and something users shouldn't have to care about. If the version of EMUI on the P20 still has this then it's a 'no thanks' from me.

The way i see it with the notch is that the notification bar eats into the top bezel freeing up the screen and giving more real estate. Whereas on say the s8, i see the notifications bar being part of the main screen wasting some space. Ideally there would be 0 bezels, but whilst thats not available i see this as the best compromise for my tastes. The bottom bezel on this phone is my navigation strip, again freeing up more screen space :)

The "twilight" colour isn't mentioned in this article, and it's quite unique. It really makes the phone stand out.

The application drawer is configurable. Yes by default it's off but it's just a simple setting to turn it back on.

The camera has some very big features which aren't mentioned here. There's the 5x hybrid zoom which is just about lossless. The wide aperture mode is really well done - it's both flexible in terms of the focus point, and the aperture itself is configurable. Including after the shot is taken.

The Bluetooth connectivity includes LDAC and AptX, unlike the iPhone, so at least that takes away some of the sting of not having a headphone jack.

The battery, according to all the reviews I read, is a solid 2+ days. I get a full day of relatively heavy use out of my X but two days is not possible.

In my opinion the camera is far superior to the X's. I used it and I'm impressed. It's not like the 4k@60 is actually useful for most people. I just upload to YouTube (clips of my son mostly) and they come out 1080@30, so there you go. No idea how to make it keep them at least at 4k, and I doubt it even supports 60fps.

I'm not that keen on the bottom fingerprint reader in the P20 Pro (the P9 had a much better placement), but overall the design is every bit as nice as the iPhone X. In fact the only thing hardware-wise the X does better than the P20 Pro is in the speaker department.

Now I'm sorry I didn't wait for it. I thought that Huawei will come up with a slightly nicer P10 (which wasn't so impressive), but they've really exceeded my expectations with this one. If you wait for 2-3 months you'll even get it for reasonable money.

I think 8/10 is a bit stingy. It's one of the best (if not the very best) Android flagships out there.

One person's opinion that I respect on cameras is Steve Litchfield and he does not rate the camera. Have a look at the comparison on AAWP and watch his videos on the Phones Show on YouTube.

Decent battery, my first 100-0 was 2 days 11hrs with 5hr11 screen on time. Today I am currently at 21% battery, 2days 3hrs, 4hr 55m sot.

One person's opinion that I respect on cameras is Steve Litchfield and he does not rate the camera. Have a look at the comparison on AAWP and watch his videos on the Phones Show on YouTube.
Well he postulates a lot that the images are an over-processed mess, but he doesn't really support it with much, if anything at all, in terms of evidence.

On the other hand you have sites like this one (which btw I found from dpreview, a great general site for photo equipment reviews) which show sample photos in great detail and walks away with the opposite conclusion.

Far too expensive for me. I have the P10 and it's the best phone I've ever had and that only has twin lenses and the pictures are amazing so these will be top notch. But I bought my P10 second hand about 4 months after it's launch for about £270. The bottom falls out of the Huawei price a lot sooner than other premium phones.

Far too expensive for me. I have the P10 and it's the best phone I've ever had and that only has twin lenses and the pictures are amazing so these will be top notch. But I bought my P10 second hand about 4 months after it's launch for about £270. The bottom falls out of the Huawei price a lot sooner than other premium phones.[/QUOTE
Best phone for me is the excellent LG V30 cost £520, I would not buy any Apple product which IMO are rip-offs. Interestingly Which? rate the Apple IPhone X 73% ,LG V30 76% Google Pixel 2XL 78%, Samsung Galaxy S9 84%.

Plagiarism is truly obnoxious. Why is it so many phone makers seem unable to do anything other than steal Apple designs? It's comically blatant in this case. Huawei's marketing even mirrors Apple's pretty much exactly.

If you want an iPhone X then buy an iPhone X. Anyone who buys junk like this is just exacerbating the problem and enabling the thieves.
'junk like this', hilarious

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom