Huawei P20 Pro Smartphone Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Apr 24, 2018.

1. David Phelan

David Phelan
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
    2. Jonny Ware

Jonny Ware
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Good review, slight knit pick on the camera part, it uses a quad bayer sensor, so on the standard setting (10mp) combines 4 colour pixels to create each pixel, or for HDR can take 2 exposures at the same time (not one after the other very quickly).
      Its a shame that Nokia didn't make much noise about their clear black display when it came out (polariser filter), as there OLED screens had none of the issues of off axis colour.

3. nofear01

nofear01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +78
      Wish I would have held off on my Mate 10 Pro and got this now.

Not that I dislike my Mate 10 Pro. Still an awesome piece of kit.

4. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +83
      Decent review. Huawei were in my workplace last week to demo this and the photos were fantastic. A few small things I found curious about this review though:

The 3rd lens is a 5 times zoom, not ' 3 times the other lenses'
      No mention of the supposed ability to take hand held long exposure shots that the phone AI is supposed to create for you.
      Battery life barely mentions when other reviews have said it's exemplary.
      Call an voice quality is a metric scored but barely mentioned whereas battery life isn't a scoring metric? Seems odd in this day and age where a lot of people don't make many calls but battery life is a major concern.

5. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +845
      couldn't justify it at 799.

6. diva1977

diva1977
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      would love one as have p smart but couldnt justify price tag

7. tman

tman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      Here's a thought. Huawei seem to intent in copying Apple in the design, they should just slap a fake Apple logo on the back, then when not-so-bright customers go looking to buy an iPhoneX, they might just pick up one of these instead and not realise the difference. It's embarrassing what Huawei have done here. I'm sure it's quick, and the camera is great, but including a notch as well - a feature on the X that was pretty much universally derided - is just unbelievable, and the crazy thing is, others are doing it as well! Individuality and unique identity are long gone.

8. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +994
      Plagiarism is truly obnoxious. Why is it so many phone makers seem unable to do anything other than steal Apple designs? It's comically blatant in this case. Huawei's marketing even mirrors Apple's pretty much exactly.

If you want an iPhone X then buy an iPhone X. Anyone who buys junk like this is just exacerbating the problem and enabling the thieves.

9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13,587
      It’s good to see how much they’ve come on. Whilst I’m happy with iOS and how it integrates with my other devices; if I was in the market for an Android based device I would give this serious consideration.

10. Smudger1

Smudger1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +163
      You could argue that Apple copied every other Android OEM, when they released the bigger iPhone 6. A large rectangle shape with curved edges? That never happened until Apple thought of it in 2014...

11. Scoop007

Scoop007

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      I may be wrong, but im sure the notch was copied from the essential phone.

12. george1976

george1976

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +96
      Dat notch for 799 lol
      They are using even the worst things from Apple also.
      Why is there no call quality review, or network reception review if you will? Phones are not phones anymore, just portable game consoles and mini computers?

13. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +69
      I have a Huawei P9 and hardware-wise it's wonderful, it's their version of Android that lets it down. You have to manage which apps gets closed when the screen is locked and which are allowed to keep running; this is a total PITA and something users shouldn't have to care about. If the version of EMUI on the P20 still has this then it's a 'no thanks' from me.

14. Scoop007

Scoop007

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      The way i see it with the notch is that the notification bar eats into the top bezel freeing up the screen and giving more real estate. Whereas on say the s8, i see the notifications bar being part of the main screen wasting some space. Ideally there would be 0 bezels, but whilst thats not available i see this as the best compromise for my tastes. The bottom bezel on this phone is my navigation strip, again freeing up more screen space :)

15. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      The "twilight" colour isn't mentioned in this article, and it's quite unique. It really makes the phone stand out.

The application drawer is configurable. Yes by default it's off but it's just a simple setting to turn it back on.

The camera has some very big features which aren't mentioned here. There's the 5x hybrid zoom which is just about lossless. The wide aperture mode is really well done - it's both flexible in terms of the focus point, and the aperture itself is configurable. Including after the shot is taken.

The Bluetooth connectivity includes LDAC and AptX, unlike the iPhone, so at least that takes away some of the sting of not having a headphone jack.

The battery, according to all the reviews I read, is a solid 2+ days. I get a full day of relatively heavy use out of my X but two days is not possible.

In my opinion the camera is far superior to the X's. I used it and I'm impressed. It's not like the [email protected] is actually useful for most people. I just upload to YouTube (clips of my son mostly) and they come out [email protected], so there you go. No idea how to make it keep them at least at 4k, and I doubt it even supports 60fps.

I'm not that keen on the bottom fingerprint reader in the P20 Pro (the P9 had a much better placement), but overall the design is every bit as nice as the iPhone X. In fact the only thing hardware-wise the X does better than the P20 Pro is in the speaker department.

Now I'm sorry I didn't wait for it. I thought that Huawei will come up with a slightly nicer P10 (which wasn't so impressive), but they've really exceeded my expectations with this one. If you wait for 2-3 months you'll even get it for reasonable money.

I think 8/10 is a bit stingy. It's one of the best (if not the very best) Android flagships out there.

16. finbaar

finbaar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +47
      One person's opinion that I respect on cameras is Steve Litchfield and he does not rate the camera. Have a look at the comparison on AAWP and watch his videos on the Phones Show on YouTube.

17. Scoop007

Scoop007

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      Decent battery, my first 100-0 was 2 days 11hrs with 5hr11 screen on time. Today I am currently at 21% battery, 2days 3hrs, 4hr 55m sot.

18. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +271
      Like all phone reviews no mention is made of for me the very important email notification alert all phones I have tried I find TEXT alert volume is OK but EMAIL alert volume is far too low.

19. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      Well he postulates a lot that the images are an over-processed mess, but he doesn't really support it with much, if anything at all, in terms of evidence.

On the other hand you have sites like this one (which btw I found from dpreview, a great general site for photo equipment reviews) which show sample photos in great detail and walks away with the opposite conclusion.

20. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +75
      Far too expensive for me. I have the P10 and it's the best phone I've ever had and that only has twin lenses and the pictures are amazing so these will be top notch. But I bought my P10 second hand about 4 months after it's launch for about £270. The bottom falls out of the Huawei price a lot sooner than other premium phones.

21. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +271

22. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,036
      'junk like this', hilarious

23. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +994
      Clones are by definition junk. They are devoid of creativity. They belong in recycling.

Be original or don't bother. To be frank.

24. jonna

jonna
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,418
      Such a narrow minded statement.

25. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +69
      This phone is not a clone, any more than the iPhone is a clone of Compaq's iPAQ.

26. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      If we're talking about definitions, only clones of junk are by definition junk. Clones of good products are, by definition, good products and therefore not junk.

That being said, the P20 Pro being a clone is a nonsensical statement. There's no other phone that looks exactly like it. It's just another rather typical 2017-2018 design, when it comes to looks.

Then it has its own unique features, such as the funky triple camera system and the embedded NPU. There's even a Porsche Design version with an in-screen fingerprint reader, which will probably be the first phone having this kind of technology to hit Europe.

27. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +994
      No, just principled.

28. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +994
      Come off it, of course it is. All of a sudden there are a sea of Android phones with notches. Before the iPhone X design leaked there weren't any. They even ripped off the vertical camera enclosure on the back. Look at Huawei's website for further proof of their shameless theft.

Being original isn't difficult, you just need to a) have an imagination, b) give a damn, and c) not be lazy. Huawei, like many Chinese clone makers fail all of those tests. Perhaps in time they'll mature, as Samsung did, and finally stop stealing. As of now though, they're producing junk. Apple should sue them into oblivion.

Tech Talk: The Apple X Notch On Android Phones? | Androidheadlines.com

29. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +69
      That's quite the most barmy piece of nonsense I've read in a while. The iPhone X has a notch so therefore any other phone that has one is a 'clone' and 'junk' whose manufacturer is 'stealing'?

Does that logic mean the iPhone was a junk clone stealing from Compaq?

Why do you think Apple don't sue Huawei, or any of the other manufacturers of notch phones? Is it because they're kind? Maybe they're just taking their time. No, it's because having a thing that's like another thing isn't stealing and they'd be laughed out of court.

30. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +994
      You really are being obtuse. The iPhone was the first modern smart phone, it completely reinvented what had come before. Of course you can trace the origins back to early devices with styluses and keyboards, but to deny that the iPhone changed everything is simply wrong. It was even called the "jesus phone", such was the level of awe it inspired at the time.

Apple sued Samsung for their theft and won. That was under Jobs however who was much, much more forceful when it came to protecting IP. Cook seems less concerned, perhaps because the sales of clones are a rounding error outside of China, who knows.