Huawei Mate 10 Pro owners

sergiup

Distinguished Member
I don't think we have a thread dedicated to this device yet, thought it'd be handy to keep questions/suggestions/tips/issues in one place.

Mine should be delivered tomorrow, hopefully it's going to be a good first experience of Huawei.

Fire away :)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Loving mine, blinding fast, battery is incredible, camera is fantastic, looks more expensive than it is, probably costing at least £20pm less than if I'd gone for a similar spec Samsung. Very happy. Not sure I'm getting the best out of it yet so need to look more into tips and stuff and whether it would be best using ab different launcher , to be fair emui isn't bothering me at all so far. There deserves to be more owners of this phone, it's superb
Oh, if anyone else uses Facebook I'd be interested if it's hogging the battery a lot? I use it quite a bit but even so it does seem to use a lot more battery than anything else
4b58c88191d94bfc7f5a0152f2f69d45.jpg

Last edited:

sergiup

Distinguished Member
@zAndy1 I don't even use the FB app, I find it overly instrusive and hungry - just the web page...

zAndy1

Distinguished Member

sergiup

Distinguished Member
That's a good idea actually, I'll give that a go

The one thing that no longer works in the web page (as of several months ago) is FB Messenger, so you would still need the Messenger app if you use that, as annoying as it is.

Storvay

Even with my tendency to change phones very often, I've had reason to pause recently what with flagship phones costs increasing. At this price, it's very compelling. I have an iPhone 7 Plus at the mo' and if the camera is at least as good as this, I'll buy one.

Last edited:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Even with my tendency to change phones very often, I've had reason to pause recently what with flagship phones costs increasing. At this price, it's very compelling. I have an iPhone 7 Plus at the mo' and if the camera is at least as good as this, I'll buy one.
The honor view 10 is only £379 and is a very similar spec to the mate 10 pro, not waterproof and lcd rather than oled screen but apart from that there ain't a lot in it, and the honor view 10 has face unlock which the mate 10 pro doesn't for some bizarre reason

Storvay

Almost the ideal phone for me....almost.

Ok Google detection isn't a thing when the screen is off. That is a massive pain for me. Apparently there are are workarounds using Tasker but it's very annoying.

Other than that I have zero complaints about the screen, camera (need to use more extensively), speed or anything else. Battery life, coming from a plus sized iphone, seems very good.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Almost the ideal phone for me....almost.

Ok Google detection isn't a thing when the screen is off. That is a massive pain for me. Apparently there are are workarounds using Tasker but it's very annoying.

Other than that I have zero complaints about the screen, camera (need to use more extensively), speed or anything else. Battery life, coming from a plus sized iphone, seems very good.
I don't use Ok Google (perhaps I should I don't know) and I'm not really sure what you mean (are you saying it doesn't work when the screen is off?) but I agree with your overall assessment otherwise. I especially need to get to grips with the camera cos it's obviously very very good and I'm sure I'm not getting the best out of it yet so I need to do some homework on that. Took a few pics this morning and I'm more impressed than I was with the S7 edge camera so far. Loving this phone
IMG_20180324_104700.jpg
IMG_20180324_103604.jpg
IMG_20180324_103212.jpg

Storvay

Yes, the ok Google detection doesn't work with the screen off. It's something I use extensively so will try to work around this.

I'm going to test out the camera a bit more, hoping that auto mode is good enough. All the reviews (and your pics) suggest it should be there or thereabouts.

Another issue I'm having is that my iPhone (which hasn't been reset yet) and iPad both receive notifications such as your reply to my post, whereas this didn't.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Yeah there might be one or two quirks but there are compromises with any phone. As far as the camera is concerned I'm not really sure what the wide aperture thing is for so that's something I'm going to look into to. So in a nutshell what can this 'ok google' do I.e what am I missing out on by not using it? Cheers

Storvay

Ok Google is something you can do from the home screen, get it to set timers, do searches, play music, call people etc etc

Most Android phones allow you to do this when the screen is off but Huawei, in their wisdom, have their own proprietary voice enabled system.

I'm struggling to work out portrait mode to get background blurring. Not sure what I'm supposed to do?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Ok Google is something you can do from the home screen, get it to set timers, do searches, play music, call people etc etc

Most Android phones allow you to do this when the screen is off but Huawei, in their wisdom, have their own proprietary voice enabled system.

I'm struggling to work out portrait mode to get background blurring. Not sure what I'm supposed to do?
I found the wide aperture setting blurred the background, not sure about the portrait setting I'll need to look into it more

Last edited:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
What case are people going for with this and has anyone bothered replacing the standard pre fitted screen protector?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Anyone using any of the provided themes? Just wondering if any of them are worth using?

Storvay

I haven't used the themes much, TBH. But it's the first Android that I haven't used Nova on and it's absolutely fine.

It's a beautiful day today and I can confirm that daylight shots are extremely good. Perhaps a little inconsistent at times but that's a minor niggle.

One thing I just can't get is the portrait mode/wide aperture thing. It's a wee bit confusing as I'm not sure what to use where and when, compared to the simplicity of the iPhone.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I haven't used the themes much, TBH. But it's the first Android that I haven't used Nova on and it's absolutely fine.

It's a beautiful day today and I can confirm that daylight shots are extremely good. Perhaps a little inconsistent at times but that's a minor niggle.

One thing I just can't get is the portrait mode/wide aperture thing. It's a wee bit confusing as I'm not sure what to use where and when, compared to the simplicity of the iPhone.
Well from the videos I've watched about the camera the wide aperture mode is described as bokeh , portrait mode has a setting called artistic bokeh that has to be enabled for blurred backgrounds I think. Will do some more experimenting but yeah the camera is very very good there's no doubt about that

tenohfive

Debating getting this phone. I've heard EMUI can be a bit bloaty. I can live without the clean Android experience, but was wondering if it slows things down any in day-to-day use?

Storvay

It really doesn't slow things down at all, it's extremely fast.

However, another annoyance is that notifications can be a bit of a mess, a direct result of the aggressive app management. For example, I only knew you had posted on this thread because of a notification on my (still not sold) iPhone. It's really not intuitive at all.

tenohfive

That's a little annoying. Can you get around it with something like Nova Launcher managing notifications?

Storvay

My understanding is that things can get a little weird with Nova and EMUI but, even so, I don't think that will help.

It is actually really annoying as I missed your last post as well despite spending a lot of time in the various menus, tweaking things

Last edited:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
My understanding is that things can get a little weird with Nova and EMUI but, even so, I don't think that will help.

It is actually really annoying as I missed your last post as well despite spending a lot of time in the various menus, tweaking things
Are you saying you aren't getting any notifications from tapatalk then? I'm getting some on mine.
Screenshot_20180328-074951.jpg

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Impressions so far...

The app power management seems to interfere with some things. I've had:
- Spotify just stop playing a few times for no apparent reason, usually when switching apps or pressing the home soft-key
- notifications not appearing until I open the app (I know because my old phone, an LG G5, is still running and configured with mostly the same apps)
Other issues:
- the voice commands for asking Spotify to play something when using Android Auto seem to fail for no apparent reason; works fine on the G5
- I've changed the font/item size to make it all smaller, but the drag-down status bar doesn't change size; this is wasteful and it looks a bit silly
- The camera is good, but the video is lacking compared to the G5; this may be a config or software issue, haven't had time to look at it much.

But, on the plus size:
- the battery life is phenomenal compared to the G5; I'd literally be charging the old phone at least twice a day, whereas this one will lose less than 5% overnight, less than 15% on a commute compared to at least 30% (screen on pretty much all the time, Spotify, browsing etc). This is a HUGE improvement for me.
- it's fast and responsive
- MIUI isn't bad, I don't see any real issues with it, mostly just cosmetic if anything

Edit: I should say, I got it as an upgrade for ~£35 per month and £30 upfront on Vodafone. That's for 32GB data and the usual unlimited gubbins, and includes Spotify which I would otherwise be paying for separately anyway. The way I figured it, I'd be paying ~£17 for a similar SIM-only deal, which is ~£400 over two years; I'm paying about £850 for this, which means I'm paying about £480 for the phone - not bad really.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021