Standard Member
Hello all,

So I put together the following:

Mobo is ASUS E35M1-M Pro @ 1.6GHz
RAM is Munskin Silverline 2x2Gb DDR2 1333MHz
HD is Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA3 6Gb/s 64Mb Cache
Silverstone Milo ML03 Case
400W CoolerMaster Power Supply

I am running the latest version of XMBC on Windows 7 SP1. I've enabled hardware acceleration support in XMBC and in the Bios I've assigned 1Gb of video RAM. I have installed the latest Catalyst drivers and all the chipset drivers for the mobo.

I would have thought that this would be more than enough to smoothly play 1080p videos (mkv) but alas, I get the occasional studder and at this point, I have no idea why.

Are there better drivers? Options tweaks that I do not know about?... Please help.

cheers,
Abbey

mooperman

Distinguished Member
i'm not sure if anyone else will agree with me here BUuuuutttt.......

my win 7/xbmc was fine until i installed SP1 for Win 7, i had to uninstall it and now it runs ok again....... this was a few months ago when i was still new to all this kind of thing though so couldve been something different...

Abbey Chase

Standard Member
i'm not sure if anyone else will agree with me here BUuuuutttt.......

my win 7/xbmc was fine until i installed SP1 for Win 7, i had to uninstall it and now it runs ok again....... this was a few months ago when i was still new to all this kind of thing though so couldve been something different...
I'm afraid that did not do the trick. If anything, it's a little bit worse now...

Anyone else with a potential solution?

mooperman

Distinguished Member
have you enabled hardware acceleration under the playback menu?

EDIT: forget that, have just seen its a yes!

Abbey Chase

Standard Member
have you enabled hardware acceleration under the playback menu?

EDIT: forget that, have just seen its a yes!
Yes, of course. But there is still this strange jitter when the camera in the movie pans slowly from one direction to the next... (well most of the jitter comes when such a event occurs)...

stevos

Distinguished Member
Do you have the match source output frequency option thing ticked? Can't remember the settings proper name but its the one that makes your tv switch to 24hz when playing bluray movies from its native 60.

This sounds similar to problems of old when bluray players /tv's didn't support 24hz output and so went for 60hz and had noticeable judder on panning scenes.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
If you can't get automatic refresh rates to work properly then you may need to manually set the display refresh rate.

Rules of thumb :

UK/European SD & HD TV - 50Hz
UK/European DVDs - 50Hz

1080p Blu-rays - 24Hz (23Hz or 23.976Hz if available)
1080i Blu-rays - 60Hz (59Hz or 59.94Hz if available) for most US stuff and early BBC stuff or 50Hz for more recent BBC releases.

US DVDs - 60Hz (59Hz or 59.94Hz if available unless you can do something clever with some to get to 24Hz)

If your TV doesn't support 24Hz - then 60Hz is the next best.

Definitely not good to show 24Hz content at 50Hz - it will judder horribly as 1 source frame is repeated every second.

Similarly European/UK content shot at 50Hz will look awful if shown at 60Hz as 10 fields (576i/1080i)/10 frames (for 720/50p)/5 frames (for 1080/25p) will repeated every second.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom