HTPC won't go 1920x1080

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by highspeeddirt, Sep 20, 2007.

1. highspeeddirt

highspeeddirt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A while ago I built this htpc

E6600 C2D
    190HD Fatality MB
    2Gb ddr
    3x500 Gb Samsung Spinpoints

Using the onboard graphics and vga out I was playing any HD encodes (H264, x264, WMV HD, etc) using Media Player Classic withcoreavc, ac3 filter etc. Also i could play HDDVD rips using Powerdvd 7.3. All at 1280x720 with less than 50% processor usage. This was when connected to my PWD6 plasma.

I now have a LX508 Plasma with 1920x1080 resolution and HDMI feed but when I switch the HTPC output to this I get no picture with Powerdvd and lots of dropped frames and jerky motion with MPC. Using vga it plays fine but there is ghosting and the picture is very soft. If I feed the plasma with 1280x720 everything plays fine.

I assume the onboard graphics can't do 1080p but the processer is still only at 65% usage. So, do I need a hd 2600 pro graphics card or am I missing something simple?

2. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Download RivaTunrer, that should tell you what the GPU is running at percentage wise. That might give you a clue.

I've got a ATI/ASUS 2600 Pro and with my E4400 C2D neither the CPU or GPU go above 50% with any HD content.

3. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    highspeed - you said you're using the motherboard's onboard graphics.... what spec is that?

Keep in mind that stepping from 720p to 1080p = DOUBLE the ammount of data that has to end of on the screen.

4. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
  5. highspeeddirt

highspeeddirt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been playing around a bit with files and it seems that I can play my 720p encodes at 1920x1080 with no problems. But the 1080p encodes must be using all the gpu power. I've ordered a hd2600pro which should arrive monday and I will let you know the result.

6. Gribbo

Gribbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Did you ever get this sorted out? - I'm having similar issues.
    Thought it was a driver problem but beginning to think a separate graphics card is the only way I will get it to work

7. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Any update on this? I was looking at the same MB for 1080p.

8. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I dont think that onboard is powerful enough to run at that res.

I had a x800 in my HTPC and it would not display the screen res at 1080p would only go to 1080i. Soon as i changed it to a X1800XT picked up 1080p straight away.

I was told in the Sony X series thread the X800 was not powerful enough to scale to 1080p.

9. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    hmm no problems here with ATI X300 or onboard 6150 @ 1080p. I don't have BR/HD-DVD but no problems at all with SD scaling to 1080p, and native 1080p material. 4200x2

Nah your CPU does the scaling.

10. highspeeddirt

highspeeddirt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is an update on this problem. Sorry it's taken so long but I had trouble getting a DVI to HDMI adapter to go with the hd2600 pro I ordered.

I have been able to get the onboard graphics to play 1080p encodes with MPC by playing about with the external filters. It now uses the latest versions of ffdshow, haali, ac3 filter and I blocked core avc, and anything else that showed up when trying to play encodes. There were some play back problems before with tearing and jerky pans but the above had them all playing a lot better. I have installed the hd2600 and I do notice some improvements in quality especially on fast action scenes.

HD DVD's which would not play using Powerdvd are still a problem. I'm not sure if the onboard graphics are HDCP because I was getting a blank screen but could hear the sound. I believe this is what HDCP does. After fitting the card I still could not play HD DVD with Powerdvd without getting BSOD. This is listed as an issue on AMDs site so I guess I will have to wait for a driver update for this. I found an article on playing HDDVD with MPC which works for some rips but is very jerky with most. I don't see this as a solution.

I only have one Bluray rip which plays fine with low processor useage so I guess that would work with the onboard graphics. I'm getting some more Bluray rips and can report back on this issue if needed.

Due to the Powerdvd problem I can't play most of my HDDVD rips which I hope will be sorted with a driver update but at the moment I am not really any better off having fitted the card. Once the drivers are sorted I will be able to play everything which I don't think I could have done with the onboard graphics.

11. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    HSD,

What format are your rips in?

are they wmv files you've got hold of? If so, mediaportal plays all this stuff fine. might be worth a try (obviously in conjunction with ffdshow etc).

I play everything through mediaportal EXCEPT one full blue-ray rip i have. (ie, its the complete structure off the blueray disk)

sadly, at the moment, there is no blueray playback through mediaportal due to no freely available playback method being available. hopefully when blueray playback comes into windows media player then mediaportal will support it too. Although if i use powerdvd, its works fine (it did force me to download the latest update at 80mb!!!)

I have a ATI2600pro and everything except blueray stuff looks spot on to me. (win xp, k-lite codec pack and mediaportal)

12. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I never upgraded my CPU. It started working when i changed the video card.

13. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Then something wrong, as I have no problems at all with X300, which apart from 3D gaming, is identical to the X800. So something else. The videocard does very little work.

How come if your's is a Intel C2D with X800 and it doesn't play 1080p, yet mine a slower 4200x2 X300 does? Are you talking about 1080p files from HD, or from a blu-ray/HD-DVD drive?

14. highspeeddirt

highspeeddirt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mick. The HDDVD rips and Bluray rips are all full structure ie 36gb for Fifth Element etc. I tryed mediaportal a while ago and found the setup to be a bit awkward so I've not been using it. I will try the HDDVD stuff with this.

I notice you have a PX70 are you feeding this a 1920x1080 resolution and letting the screen downscale to 768? I was feeding 720 to my 480 line PWD6 and everything played fine (looked good as well) it's only since I upped the resolution that I've been having problems. I can still watch my HDDVD rips at the lower resolution using Powerdvd and the onboard graphics.

Just played some Bluray rips using onboard and get same thing as HDDVD, no picture only sound. This has to be HDCP. I cannot find any information to say if the F190HD is HDCP compliant. I would guess not which is a serious flaw for anyone hoping to use this mobo for HD playback.

15. highspeeddirt

highspeeddirt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi badbob, can I ask what files are you playing and with what player, filters etc. Also is this at 1920x1080 or some other resolution?

16. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    I would imagine that hd-dvd rips are the same, due to the current legaility of the player software. :-(

I've currently got my desktop set to 1360x768 thru a DVI to HDMI cable, which the px70 scales down.(the screen shows its scaling it from a 1080p input, due to it having more than 720 lines i imagine) For use as a pc its not all that great, but watching films etc its sound. i've also had it at 1280 x 720(the screen shows as 720p) and that seemed ok, but a lot harder to view the desktop due to the lack of room on screen.

I once upped it to 1920 x 1080, but found the desktop completely unusable.

Also tried the native resolution (1024x768) via both VGA and DVI/HDMI. Found both pretty useless to be honest.

I'm happy with the 1360x768 resolution as most of the stuff i'm getting is 720p, but even the 1080p stuff looks good.

I'm trying to think what advantage you sending a desktop & film feed of 1920x1080 to the set will gain you over being at 1360x768. At both resolutions the TV is going to have to downscale the picture back to 1024x768. I suppose its a case of have a play and see what looks best for you.

I did the same sort of messing about with SKY-HD switching between 720p and 1080i output from the HD box and found hardly any difference. Each setup and source is different though and its definatley worth having a good old play.

Also, bear in mind that in FFDSHOW etc you can specify the resolution of your screen for upscaling stuff as well. (complete random thought that just came into my head!) lol.

17. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I use this setting in FFDShow (resize to 1360x768) for all my non DVD & BR (AVI MKV etc.) stuff and it is excellent. You need to play with the settings a bit to get it right but the quality is great.

18. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Am talking about the pc seing the screen as 1080p.
    when i switched over to hdmi it the screen display was saying 1080i.
    posted back on this forum in dec on the sony thread and was told it was my card.

I didnt have problems playing back anything.

I got a X2 4200+ and X1800XT.

19. highspeeddirt

highspeeddirt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new screen is 1080p and the problem has been getting my HTPC to go to this higher resolution.

20. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Only way i fixed this was a new card.
    Once i got the x1800XT worked straight away :D

21. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Snortle. For desktop use only you don't need that sort of card, even low end cards are capable of selecting 1920x1080 32 bit, 60hz.

Sounds like driver, EDID/handshaking or ATI's DVI frequency problem. I've got ATI X300, X1800XT and X1900XT and all work fine at that resolution. Of course 1800/1900 are faster in games, but that's not what this is about.

A 1800 card isn't ideal for a HTPC, it's loud, high power consumption and produces quite a bit of heat. It also doesn't accelerate HD video, a ATI 2400/2600 or Nvidia 85/86 series is a better choice.

22. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Am going to upgrade it to the 2600XT soon or might wait for the 2650XT. My X1800XT is alot quieter i fitted a X2 cooler, Stock cooler was to loud.

23. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    If your CPU is fast enough (2ghz dual core) then really no need to get a HD acceleration videocard, although I guess those cards use less power have to wonder how 1800XT compared to those 26xx for gaming. I agree with noisy ATI's though, Zalman VF900 on a X1900XT, and will fit a Accelero S1 on the other.