HTPC with some component recycling

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by vaseston, Feb 17, 2014.

1. vaseston

vaseston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's been a long time since I have done any system building so greatly appreciate any advice.

I am currently using an hp microserver under my TV as a htpc (non 3d ripped blu ray playing via xbmc). I added some extra ram, a SSD and a radeon 6450 fanless GPU and the system works well but is too noisy to leave on 24/7. I would like to get the microserver out of the room and use the ssd and GPU in a budget HTPC.

The htpc will sit inside a wooden cabinet, so an ugly cheap case is fine , but small would be nice. What sort of motherboard and CPU should I look at? I am hoping to get away with something cheap as the GPU will be doing the work.

Basically I am looking for a small budget case, motherboard and CPU to use with my existing bits. The system will either run windows 7 home as I have a spare licence or Linux.

Many thanks in advance

2. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Have you considered a fan swap on the microserver?

3. vaseston

vaseston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I looked into it but not sure it would bring the noise down enough. The rI om is used a lot as a family room and I am always aware of the server when it is on. I would rather get it out of the way and have a system that is just turned on for xbmc duties.

4. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Although I've changed CPU and graphics card, my HTPC was built over two years ago... I don't feel the need to build a new one at the moment so can't really comment on a modern spec. Have a look at some "spec check" threads on here, or with any luck somebody will chime in with a recommendation.