1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC with Panasonic 42" PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wall, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Wall

Wall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read the threads concerning this but feel that it's still not clear for me, so...

I'm planning to get a PV500 and will use it alot with my computer aswell as DVD player and regular TV. I've understood that DVD and digital broadcasts looks very very good, but I'm concerned about the computer quality, I need it to entierly fill the screen with no aspect distortion (I don't want my digital photos to be stretched!). So, is this possible with this screen? Is there a visible diffrence in PQ at a 1:1 mapping and a scaled one(I suspect it needs to be fed with a non 1:1 resolution to avoid streching)? And also, would I benefit of looking at a screen with a DVI port or will the D-sub connection look just as good? I know that DVI is preferred but is there a noticable diffrence if I use a high quality D-sub cable? I will use the computer for web browsing(so text needs to be sharp), HD movie viewing and some gaming. One final question, is there a preffered graphics card for the PV500? ATI or nVidia?

I've also looked at the Philips 37pf9986 LCD but it that one turned out to be unable to fill the screen(1:1 mapping) when connected to a computer, otherwise it looked awesome! I know the 9830 will solve this but I don't know if I can wait until it's released and also, the Panny is bigger... :)

Thanks in advance for helping me decide this!

2. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´m using the PV500 via DVI/HDMI. You can spot the scaling on Text only. With video playback it just looks awesome...

There is some overscan, though.

3. mork80

mork80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HTPC connected via DVI->HDMI
    1280x720@60hz res
    Skystar1 on board for sat/hd testing
    DVD Player (TheterTek)
    Meedio (trial version, waiting for DVB-s and T support)
    Mediaportal 1.3
    ProgDVB 4.53.x

little bit of overscan on HDMI, but WMVHD and H.264 are very impressive :D :eek: