1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

htpc video input

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by garyc, Sep 15, 2004.

1. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

To use your existing dvd player as the source but via the pc to a proj. Whats the best way of connecting the dvd player (probably component) to the pc?

cheers

gary

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Lots of options really. if you want to use component then a Holo3D or sweetspot card are what you need. the sweetspot can be had from www.pluggedin.tv for about £175, the holo3D is a lot more and you'd have to get one from the US. The holo3d does have hardware deinterlacing which the sweetspot doesn't.

If you want to use RGB then the sweetspot is about the only way I know of.

A cheaper option would be to use a PBTV100 from pcworld (about£30) to allow a very clean svideo input. This is the only one of these cards which I personally own but find it gives an excellent picture, especially via DScaler. The other cards would have to be a LOT better to justify the extra cash.

HTH
    Owain

EDIT - sweetspot price corrected

3. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Owain

thankyou for your reply. i guess it is worth the extra expense to use the dvd player rather than the pc internal dvd drive?

cheers

Gary

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    don't think its a case of it being "worth the extra to use an external DVD player".

Using the internal DVD drive and most half decent software players, is arguably going to give you a better picture because there's no Digital to Analouge (DVD player to scart) to Digital conversion. It stays digital all the way (if you use a DVI output to the screen).

Whilst I don't subscribe to "digital is always best", in this case however good the external DVD player is, the weakest link the A to D conversion by say a sweetspot, is likely to be bettered by most internal DVD drives.

I say "arguably", I've tried it by accident as well. My backup DVD player links through my NTL: box which I capture and render live TV from in Dscaler. Played a DVD once and it highjacked the NTL feed.

5. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

As you can tell I'm not up on this subject.

at first glance (in my mind) a £1000 player would do a better job than a £50 pc drive, but maybe its not that simple.

gary

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The feeling seems to be that a properly set up software player will show up pretty much any DVD player around £1000. Not had too much experience of that level of stand alone DVD player myself but my HCPC is certainly better than the £500 sony DVD it replaced.

HTH
    Owain

7. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

standalone players give you the greatest ease-of-use, but up until very recently most of them had analogue only video output (e.g. component, RGB etc)
    The latest players have digital video output, so the game has moved on.

PC based players have always avoided the D-A conversion, so will pretty much beat any standalone analogue only player for outright picture quality.

as the saying goes though, your mileage may vary :)