1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Htpc, Tv & Sky Viewing Question.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rick1486, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gang.

As some of you will already know I'm looking at buying either a PANNY AE300 or a SONY HS10 in the next month or so.

Ideally, what I'd like to achieve is to keep my JVC DVD and my SKY (PACE) DIGIBOX, somehow connect them via a HTPC to view on the pj and also be able to view/capture T.V. on the HTPC.

I would also like to use the HTPC as a games platform and so will be looking at building or buying quite a high spec p.c. (not overly worried about the noise aspect).

What I'd like to ask you gurus is this;

1. Do I need a separate 3d graphics card and T.V. capture/tuner card? If so, what is the consensus of opinion re. appropriate hardware.

2. If one card is appropriate which one is it?

3. What are the specifics regarding connection - i.e. what equipment links to the pj ( and how e.g. what sort of cabling etc.) and what equipment links to the p.c. and how (as above re. cabling).

4. Any specific recommendations re. ready built machines and prices or is anyone more favourable towards d.i.y. machines (I am competent at building them).

Your help is very much appreciated.

Cheers
    Rick

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Rick

1 Ideally

2 so not applicavble

3 depends which pj you end up with and which graphics card, for top end gaming then the ATI 9700 Pro and dvi to HS10, not very familiar with the ae300, make sure you keep the dvi cable from pv to pj to under 7.5m to reduce the possibility of problems.

4 The capture card of choice at the moemnt at a reasonable budjet level is the Flyvideo2000 see this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67299 You might also want to consider a digital tv capture card such as the Nebula which also provides pvr facilities.

If you diy you get to pick every component and detail the machine the way you want it.

Regards

3. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, now I know I'm being thick but would I have to connect the graphics card to the t.v. card or are they completely separate entities and the purpose of the t.v. card (yes - preferably as a pvr too) is purely and simply to capture telly programmes. Also how do I route/connect my sky (pace) digibox?

Cheers
    Rick

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Okay

Capture card is a PCI card and transfers its output across the PC inards to the AGP output card.

The capture card may have all or some of the following

UHF tuner input
    composite video input
    svideo input

If its got a tv tuner then it will have an audio output for looping to the input of your soundcard.

Connect Sky via scart to composite into the cpature card and select the correct input, connect the audio from sky to the soundcard input if you want to use the PVR facilities. For better PQ then convert the SKY output to svideo and use that instead.

To improve the output to your display if a pj etc use a peice if software called Dscaler which resamples the picture before it reaches the graphics card and makes the best of it.

Dump your JVC dvd player and go with a DVD rom and Theatretek software to give you a stunning picture via dvi to a HS10.:D

5. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers
    MUCHOS OBLIGOSED

Rick

6. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry forgot to ask - where do i get Theatertek and the Dscaler from?

Cheers
    Rick

7. Magsy

Magsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2