HTPC to TX200 woes...any experts out there ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AGS, Aug 11, 2006.

1. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Posted this on the MCE forum too as don't know where the problem lies...

Just about to give up on this….I have a component cable buried in the wall going from one side of the room to the other and want to hook up the following items :

Source – HTPC running MCE2005 [Asus A8N-VM CSM with onboard graphics via nVidia 6150] with VGA, DVI-D, s-video, composite outputs

Projector – Hitachi TX200 with VGA, component, hdmi, s-video, composite inputs.

Obviously I now wish that I had a VGA or DVI cable in the wall, but as I don’t, I am trying to connect the VGA output on the PC to the VGA input on the PJ but with the 10m of component cable in the middle. I bought 2 ‘VGA to component’ cables from tvcables and attached them at each end of the in-wall component cable – when I turn on the pc, I get some very occasional flicker of the desktop coming through, but mostly “no pc signal detected” and occasional message on the pj saying something about sync range of 48-60 [but it just flashes on for a second so not sure of precise wording].

Why is this not working as I start with a VGA output and end with VGA input – either my cabling logic is hopeless, or I need to do something with the PC or PJ set-ups to have the signal recognised [I cannot seem to see any menu option on the pj to adjust the vga input settings] – either way, I seem to have gone beyond my competency level, so anyone who can give a definitive “do this” or “it’ll never work like that” type answer would be very helpful as I am spending most of my time plugging, unplugging, restarting, menu messing etc instead of actually enjoying…..

2. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    I think one of the problems is that you're degrading the signal too much. You're outputting the signal, converting it, sending it 10m, converting it again and into the PC. Signal is going to be pretty weak by this point.

What happens if you remove the converter at the projector end go straight into the component input? I don't see the point in converting to VGA again.

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,363
    I know it is not much help but one way round the problem is to install a REAL graphics card, not onboard.

LARGE download (8mB) but explains see picture page 6.
    http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/vga_manual_gv-nx66t256de_e.pdf

Use the latest MCE drivers from NVidia.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxpmce_91.31.html

Card
    http://www.eclipse-computers.com/product.aspx?code=GCG-XN66256D2

I have one of these fitted for my PC MCE and although connected via VGA and running NVidia Pruevideo the output is excellent.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I think I know what this is.

Your'e projector is not getting a sync signal.

I'm betting you somehow have connected a component to VGA cable to your PJ and then running 3 cables (component) to you projector and then using a component to VGA cable to convert to VGA. Well, your be missing the sync which is why you only get a brief image now and then.

What you need (more money I know) is a VGA to component transcoder that will turn a VGA signal into the correct format to the component format. Then you'll be good to go.

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I've always considered the major advantage of using a PC to drive a pj is that you can get the PC to match the resolution of the projector. This gives 1:1 pixel mapping and bypasses the projector scaler. Won't converting to a component signal loose that advantage?

6. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jammyb.

Re weakening the signal, maybe a factor but not the core problem as I tried the same set up but using a 1m component in the middle as a test and got same result

Re going straight to component input, just to be clear, I am using this cable at both ends - http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/component-vga-hd15-1.html. I understood that it only split the vga into rgb [not component] hence why I needed to go back to VGA at the other end [incidentally I did also try plugging in to the component inputs but no signal was detected by the pj].

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Did you not bother reading my post.

8. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cyberheater. Where would I get a "VGA to component transcoder" and how much.....

9. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Cyberheater.....my replies were getting a bit out of sync....see previous.

10. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,363
    By the time you have brought all these converters it would be as cheap to get a decent graphics card that is capable in the first place.

11. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
  12. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188

Yep. Your right and that's the route I would take. I'm sure some of the ATI graphics cards allow component video out.

13. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK great - thanks for everyone's help - I've now got 2 viable options. One last question, I could 'rejig' the way I've set things up to allow me to use a straight S-video connection from the pc to pj. In your opinion, what would be the quality differential of the s-video direct feed versus the vga to component feed - would there be a big difference ?

14. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Yes. There is a big difference in quality from component to s-vid.

Just a question. Apart from the three component cables. What else have you in wall?

15. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got component, s-video and audio l/r in the wall.....ie everything that I don't really need !

16. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    are you actually using the s-video or audio l/r in the wall ?

17. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    Use the Svideo or audio leads to pull a DVI or VGA lead through the wall. HDMI might be even better as it only has a small connection, then you're going to need a gfx card with DVI or HDMI.

18. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - would only use the svideo if I fail to get any joy via the component options.

Jammyb - I have tried yanking the cables already but they are absolutely not moving and don't really want to start chopping holes.

19. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Okay. Here's the plan.

* Get a VGA to component cable which also handles sync. This should have 1 vga connector and 5 connections the other end.
    * Build (or buy) a S-Video to bnc adaptor. This means you have two bnc connections on each of the s-video cable.
    * Connect the component (RGB) bit to the normal component cable in your wall
    * Connect the extra 2 sync lines to the S-Vid to bnc adaptors

You should now have the full complement of signals required going thru your wall.

* Do the reverse the other end.

20. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ok thanks - couple of questions...

> am I correct to think the above would give VGA signal at the projector ? If yes, how would this compare to the component signal [via the transcoder thing mentioned earlier]. I would be hoping to use for MCE & some normal windows stuff [internet etc]

> could I use the twin audio phono lead instead of the s-video for the sync signal - it seems to be same build quality as the component and would save me buying the bnc to s-video adaptor.

21. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Yes. It would be VGA. It should be better then the transcoder because it's not getting converted but it really depends on the PJ's ability to handle different signals.

Of course. And less hassle.

22. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    If you're any good at wiring and soldering (or you've got a mate who is) you could turn the component and svideo/audio cables into a truly top quality VGA cable, all pins connected. Might be better than spending any more money on adpaters.

23. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Perhaps I didn't put my question very well. Using a video card with component out and feed it to a projector via the component input with the PC outputting the native resolution of pj, Is the projector scaler being bypassed and the pc doing all the scaling?

Sorry for going slightly off topic

24. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    :hiya: Was it something I said?:hiya:

25. JorisS

JorisS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    AGS,

have you considered/tried one of these:

DVI-I to RGB Component converter?

I'm using one of those with my ATI card, I'm not 100% sure it'll work with nVidia though... but why not. If not, it's only a couple of pounds anyway, worth a try?

That way I have my regular CRT monitor hooked up to the VGA out, and through this converter on the DVI-I output from the GFx, I run 10m of component cable straight into the component IN in my projector. Works perfect. Or seems to anyways :D

If I recall properly it worked from start after enabling dual screen mode (as I don't have a separate HTPC but use my gaming pc for it), although in order to optimize everything, I used some program for changing resolution and refresh rate n such, but I don't think that was needed from start.

26. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the nvidia only outputs dvi-d not dvi-i so [if I understand correctly], it cannot be converted to an anologue signal like rgb - so no-go I'm afraid...

27. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing you said [although not sure I quite followed it....], but decided to give cyberheater's 'plan' a go, but waiting for delivery of bnc to phono adaptors to hook everything up - will post when I've given it a whirl....

28. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the PJ but would be pointless using PC > component rather than VGA/DVI, if possible.

:smoke:

29. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks Kramer:hiya: ...that's what I thought

30. AGS

AGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - finally got the bnc to phono adapters and hooked up the pc from the vga out via the 5 phono leads in the wall and then back to vga into the projector and......it works perfectly ! Great picture and full resolution.

Many thanks to cyberheater and everyone else - would never have figured it out without the help of AVForums !