HTPC to plasma set-up

pauli

Standard Member
I have just set-up my HTPC running Vista Home premium using media centre connected to my new Samsung PS50A656. I have connected this via VGA and am struggling to set the PC to the native resolution of the TV which is 1920 x 1080. My integrated graphics allow me to set it but the TV comes up saying "mode not supported". It did allow me to set it to 1900 x 1200. First of all am I correct in trying to set it to the native resolution of the TV and if not what are does setting it to 1900x1200 do for image quality.

I have been really disappointed in the picture quality using my PC as compared to the TVs built in tuner and thought this may have something to do with it. I use a pinnacle 4000i dvb-s tuner card in the PC.

The tv manual states what resolutions it supports using VGA and it says 1920x1080RB whatever RB is using CVT which I am unsure of also. Interestingly it doesn't say that it supports the resolution I am using at 1900x1200. Getting confused anyone help???

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Im not sure about your TV , but on my panasonic the " PC input " , which is a VGA input , does not support 1920 x 1080 and I believe this is common enough with most VGA " PC inputs ".
On mine the max input for VGA is 1366 x 768 which is then scaled to 1920 x 1080.

You would be better off connecting with HDMI or a DVI to HDMI cable. These inputs will allow you to set the native res of the TV.

Most flatscreens will not show a decent picture from a PC unless the native res is set. On the VGA input the TV is usually not able to scale to its native res unless you feed it one of the supported resolutions listed.

This is most likely why you have a bad picture.

pauli

Standard Member
sorry to resurrect old thread but I never did get to the bottom of this.

I am using an integrated Intel GMA 3000 GPU on Intel Q965 chipset. There is no DVI/Output so only limited to Dsub. AsI said I have this set at 1900x1200 60hz but the picture is awful.

I have attached the screenshot from the manual for my Samsung PS50A656 if that is of any help.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    55 KB · Views: 78

sayitpunk

Im not sure about your TV , but on my panasonic the " PC input " , which is a VGA input , does not support 1920 x 1080 and I believe this is common enough with most VGA " PC inputs ".
On mine the max input for VGA is 1366 x 768 which is then scaled to 1920 x 1080.

You would be better off connecting with HDMI or a DVI to HDMI cable. These inputs will allow you to set the native res of the TV.

Most flatscreens will not show a decent picture from a PC unless the native res is set. On the VGA input the TV is usually not able to scale to its native res unless you feed it one of the supported resolutions listed.

This is most likely why you have a bad picture.

Agree 100%.

I can confirm my Pioneer 500A will only go to 1366x768 via D Sub.
I am under the impression this is common.

byngo

Well, can you fit a decent graphics card in your HTPC to get DVI or HDMI out.
I say this not only cause you will get a better picture but, I started out on VGA, then realised when I moved up to Bluray that analogue outputs like VGA are not supported. (well, they are, but PowerDVD will complain about HDCP compliance and will not show the video in fulll resolution).

With a HTPC and a Plasma, you must be thinking of Bluray sometime right?

mdbarber

sorry m8 but i am going to do some creative sarcasm just for my own venting after a long hard day watching a testing pc reboot constantly for a mysterious "hang" that just never occurred.

Here you are looking at a top end display and you attach a very old scabby piece of technology designed to run a low res laptop screen and expect it to look good?,,,cmoooon on!! intel=gfx=kak
hook your sky box up and see how it looks at standard res,, eeewwww

treat your self to a nice little htpc thts well put together to show everything else you have ever seen xbox,ps3 etc etc. to shame..

mdbarber

Combined video timing.wikipedia entry

CVT specifies a mode which uses reduced blanking intervals, saving video signal bandwidth for modern LCD monitors which are not based on cathode ray tubes anymore. This mode is currently only defined for horizontal frequency of 60 Hz.

check your display properties for timing setting, i know this available on nvidia and ati sets not sure about intel.
try and use 1920*[email protected] to optimise quality
if the intel doesn't support it buy a cheap nvidia card

pauli

Standard Member
thanks for your help guys looks like I need to get a video card with HDMI out. Does anyone know of any low profile cards which would fit the bill

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom