HTPC to PJ what settings and software do you use?

Jack the lad

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just ordered my first HTPC which will feed my Sony HS60.

So what software and settings should I be using to get 1:1 pixel mapping and a jaw dropping picture?

Its being supplied with window MCE and I have Slysoft AnyDVD ripping software.

Cheers in advance :smashin:

Just set the desktop resolution to 1280 x 720 and 60hz and you should be OK. Use PowerDVD 6, WinDVD6 or TheaterTec for good results.

If you want to try 50hz or other frequencies not supported by the graphics card, you may want to get PowerStrip software.

DVDShrink is another DVD ripper that I find very useful if you want an alternative to AnyDVD

Gary

Gary Lightfoot said:
Just set the desktop resolution to 1280 x 720 and 60hz and you should be OK. Use TheaterTec for good results.

If you want to try 50hz or other frequencies not supported by the graphics card, you may want to get PowerStrip software.

DVDShrink is another DVD ripper that I find very useful if you want an alternative to AnyDVD

Gary
Thanks for the reply Gary :thumbsup:

So you dont just stick a DVD in and play it through MCE?

Do you use all of these (PowerDVD 6, WinDVD6 and TheaterTec) DVD players?

Last one :) Are these settings for bth NTSC and PAL or just PAL?

PS Sorry :rolleyes:

Powerdvd6 is a good straightforward player, but if you're using it you should turn off hardware acceleration - I find that it introduces stairstepping. Theatertek uses nVidia Purevideo decoders and these are a significant improvement in picture quality. I have had repeated compatability issues between Theatertek and ffdshow, so am now running Zoomplayer Pro, nVidia Purevideo decoder and ffdshow with zero issues, rock solid. If you're going for a MCE setup, I have read of issues with using ffdshow so Theatertek alone would be my recommendation.

S.

Can you buy Theatertek in the UK?

EDIT: Just ordered it and downloaded the software from the website :smashin:

Just need the HTPC to arrive now. Oh and my new reciever :thumbsup:

foghorn said:
Hi Jack,

Which HTPC have you ordered?

Foghorn
I went for this:

AMD 4400x2 Dual core CPU
2GB RAM
300GB hard drive for Movies, Music, TV, Games and Photos to be stored on ect.
80GB hard drive for MCE and operating system stuff. Nothing else.
Silverstone LC13M in Silver case
6600GT ASUS silencer PCI graphics card
2x Dual layer DVD writters
Card reader
WiFi enabled
MCE
Remote
19" widescreen Acer monitor

Any good?

It'll be brilliant. I'm running a diddy Shuttle, Athlon XP2600+, 512meg ram, cheapy Radeon, Win Xp - way way lower spec than your machine, and I'm not having problems, so yours will run a treat.

If you're getting a tv card, I recommend the one from www.nebula-electronics.co.uk though I've never used Win MCE, that's perhaps got better or comparable functionality with generic tv cards?

I'm running Powerstrip too, though that's because you need really unusual timing parameters to get 1:1 mapping with my older Sony HS10.

The 60Hz setting will be for NTSC. You could try going for 100Hz for PAL if your hardware supports it.

AndyFov said:
It'll be brilliant. I'm running a diddy Shuttle, Athlon XP2600+, 512meg ram, cheapy Radeon, Win Xp - way way lower spec than your machine, and I'm not having problems, so yours will run a treat.

If you're getting a tv card, I recommend the one from www.nebula-electronics.co.uk though I've never used Win MCE, that's perhaps got better or comparable functionality with generic tv cards?

I'm running Powerstrip too, though that's because you need really unusual timing parameters to get 1:1 mapping with my older Sony HS10.

The 60Hz setting will be for NTSC. You could try going for 100Hz for PAL if your hardware supports it.
Cheers :smashin:

To be honest my Sky+ (HD when its out) will be going to my reciever. I dont think I will use the HTPC for Sky but had a TV card put in anyway. Got it built including 19" widescreen LCD for ÂŁ1400.

jack daws said:
Just ordered my first HTPC which will feed my Sony HS60.

So what software and settings should I be using to get 1:1 pixel mapping and a jaw dropping picture?

Its being supplied with window MCE and I have Slysoft AnyDVD ripping software.

Cheers in advance :smashin:

You might want to get a couple of MCE plugins

MyUK (http://myuk.aceinternet.co.uk/mce/) The worldwide Live WebCams is pretty cool but you get lots of bits like local cinema listings, news clips etc.

MyMovies is another good plugin if you have the time to set it up.

MyMovies can also launch theatreTek from within MCE I think
(http://www.mymovies.name/)

Then when you want MCE around the house (Bedroom etc) consider getting an Ethernet External Hard disk (Ebuyer has a few). These plugin to a router and appear as mapped drives. Can also assign user folders if you need to protect areas of the drive. Then you save all your MCE TV recordings to this drive over your lan and other MCE PC's can access the same recordings.

The Nebula DigiTV card works with MCE using the BDE drivers (I use that on one of mine) and get digital channels. You need an analog capture card if you want to record sky via your MCE or just get a Dual Digital+Analog in one card to kill two birds with one stone.

You will need to make sure you can SPDIF the audio out from HCPC to your amp (TOS link or Coaxial cable needed. TOS link is prone to snapping so use Coaxial if you have the choice)

Anim
PS. I think Media Centre is the best of the lot, tried media portal and others and there just buggy version attempts at MCE

Hi Jack,

I use all of those players for various reasons, and one is that some HD titles have audio issues with one player, but not the other. Zoom is great for custom aspects and is very flexible/versatile, doing a lot of things the other players can't.

I leave my PC at 60hz and play both PAL and NTSC at that frequency and don't appear to get judder issues. 60hz is for NTSC, and 50hz for PAL, but I think the software player must do something to PAL to make it play smoothly at 60hz. Possibly by introducing 3:2 pulldown into the mix ala NTSC. I might try 50hz and see how PAL and NTSC look one day. I use DVI so one calibration for black and white levels should be fine.

I don't have MCE installed, but I would think it would do much of the donkey work for you - just click and play so to speak. :)

Sean - have you tried PDVD6 with de-interlacing unticked? I found some instances of 'video' artefatcs (line twitter and jaggies), so turned deinterlacing off and the image was much smoother. I think doing that means you get a pure progressive or weaved output and that seems to work very well with film content. For video stuff you have to select deinterlacing or you get combing IIRC. I think having software mode selected give inferior mpg deblocking, and is noticeable in dark areas (if it's going to be present).

Gary

Hi Jack, When you're set up I'll share my Theatertek/ffdshow/reclock settings with you, as I'm also running a MCE rig with a 6600GT.
What connection are you going to use ? DVI/HDMI or VGA ?
I've had issues with my 30' Ram HDMI cable to my HS60 and reverted back to a VGA cable for now. You'll have a better choice of accepted resolutions and refresh rates over VGA including 720P@72 and 75hz. From my seating distance I can see no difference in sharpness between the 2 inputs.
Anyway, congrats on the new rig.
Cheers, Rob. :thumbsup:

homeagain said:
Hi Jack, When you're set up I'll share my Theatertek/ffdshow/reclock settings with you, as I'm also running a MCE rig with a 6600GT.
What connection are you going to use ? DVI/HDMI or VGA ?
I've had issues with my 30' Ram HDMI cable to my HS60 and reverted back to a VGA cable for now. You'll have a better choice of accepted resolutions and refresh rates over VGA including 720P@72 and 75hz. From my seating distance I can see no difference in sharpness between the 2 inputs.
Anyway, congrats on the new rig.
Cheers, Rob. :thumbsup:
Im gonna use DVI/HDMI for now. Just spent a fortune on a new Chord 8m HDMI lead :rolleyes:

:)

TheaterTek + FFDShow for me, basically its heaven for scaling up my DVD's to 720p :)

Im lucky my GFx card is a fairly high spec one with all the nvidia lovelies in it and it goes to 50/60/72hz with no bother and i see no stutter hence i dont need powerstrip.

@Gary,

Sean - have you tried PDVD6 with de-interlacing unticked? I found some instances of 'video' artefatcs (line twitter and jaggies), so turned deinterlacing off and the image was much smoother. I think doing that means you get a pure progressive or weaved output and that seems to work very well with film content. For video stuff you have to select deinterlacing or you get combing IIRC. I think having software mode selected give inferior mpg deblocking, and is noticeable in dark areas (if it's going to be present).

Thanks for that Gary, I'll give it a go.... at the moment I'm trying to get Avisynth and Limitedsharpen working from within ffdshow - proving to be troublesome, I keep getting scripting errors..... I think I'll have to consult our cousins on the other side of the Atlantic (where I found a very interesting thread about it) for a solution.

Regards,

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Let me know the results with PDVD and see if that cures the problem at all. I did stop using it because of the jaggies etc, but found purely by chance that unticking the box gave much better results. I might have to try a few more tweaks myself, as I haven't played with FFDShow etc for quite sometime know.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom