saint666

Hi

I just purchased LG C1, which is connected to Gaming-HTPC (RTX 2070 super) via MRX720.. the HTPC specs are as follows

Various guides on setup instruct the change the input from HDMI to PC.. as it provides greater depth of options especially for the gaming mode.. However upon changing the the input to PC the colour and image changed significantly. not sure what the term.. but there was a yellowish tint and lack of crispness.. I then changed the input to HDMI and was able to get the perfect imaging for general viewing on the HTPC..

However i do a significant amount of gaming (and is the main reason why i purchased C1 ) and do realize that PC input mode will give better performance when gaming... I also want to get the Maximum FPS while gaming and take advantage of the new TV

So I thought that creating a second input from the GPU to the TV and make it specific on PC mode.. and Keep the HDMI for general viewing.. so after this long intro (sorry) my questions

1) which would be better... to do the second connection via the MRX 720 .. or do a Video direct from PC to TV while Audio goes through the MRX 720.. I saw a post regarding this specific setup and it seems very complicated for some reason.. or maybe need to get an audio card to simplify it

2) Will this setup impact the performance of the GPU since it has to output connections.. and thus affect the gaming performance?

Would appreciate some input on the way to proceed

next010

Distinguished Member
Given your setup its a trade off between making the most of the display and keeping the solution easy to to use.

For example at 4K 60Hz output,
  • leave PC direct connected to the MX720
  • use game optimizer mode with reduced input delay = boost mode
  • cycle between cinema and game optimizer mode as you use the HTPC.
  • ignore PC mode you don't need it for just video and games unless they are PC specific games with lots of fine text.
  • use Nvidia DLSS and Reflex were supported.

But if you want to make the most of the C1 for gaming given you have an RTX 2070 then you the following options
1) 4K 120hz 8-bit YCC 422 SDR only.
2) 1080p/1440p 120hz SDR or HDR.

For example if you want the 4k 120hz output over HDMI 2.0 then in Nvidia control panel
Under change resolution
  • select 3840x2160 resolution
  • select use nvidia colour settings
  • output colour format = YCC422
  • output colour depth = 8-bit
  • refresh rate = 120hz

To properly use G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel
* G-Sync enabled for full screen mode only
Under manage 3D settings
  • Max Frame Rate = 117
  • Monitor technology = G-Sync compatible
  • Preferred refresh rate = Highest Available.
  • vertical sync = on

In games always do the following were the options exist.
  • set game to exclusive full screen mode
  • disable any frame rate limiters
  • disable any vsync control
  • enable Nvidia DLSS
  • enable Nvidia Reflex

This un-caps the frame rate in games and hands over control to the nvidia driver with G-Sync, the frame limit is because if FPS hits 120fps at 120hz vsync then G-Sync is basically turned off so the limit keeps the display in the lower latency G-Sync mode at all times. The 2-3 frame limit is recommended as FPS limiters are not always perfect, it fluctuates in games, that's why you don't pick 119.

All of the above give the general low latency solution that works with all games and stops screen tearing.

If using the 4k 120hz YCC 422 mode then just set TV to game optimizer mode, the PC mode is not needed as all it does is enable chroma 444 (which your not using) and a low latency mode on top of the existing picture mode.

So that takes care of the video and games for the TV, you can alter the picture settings like colour temp and sharpness on the TV settings to your liking.

For the audio
Option 1 - use HDMI-ARC and just pass stereo PCM audio, keeps it simple.

Option 2 - run a second HDMI cable from PC GPU to the MRX-720 HDMI input and set it as your default audio output in windows sound settings, this should get you PCM 5.1 audio.

This also doubles as a second display that you could use for cinema picture mode on with 4K 60hz SDR/HDR output, however you do need some multi-monitor software to keep it under control as not all software respect multi display setups so your mouse in some games can run over to the second display, Ultramon can restrict software to certain displays.

Alternatively use this utility and assign keyboard shortcuts between your desired 4K 60hz and 4K 120hz outputs, so you don't switch to the HDMI video going into the MRX-720 but stay on the video from PC to TV and leave the audio going into the MRX-720.

That software can also change the TV picture modes so you use it to switch between your game 120hz and cinema 4K 60hz modes.

Last edited:

saint666

Thank you for an absolutely amazing detailed response.. really appreciate the knowledge and time it took for to reply..

However Id appreciate a couple of clarifications

Lets forget about 4k/120hz...

If i was to optimize the setup for 1440p/120hz HDR then doe I have to:

1) do the same process for 4k/120 ie...
  • select 2560x1440resolution
  • refresh rate = 120hz
2) Will i need the Chroma 444 for 1440p/120?? .. for your info Im currently playing Forza Horizon 5 and F1 2021.. thats it!!.. so not sure if these game would preform better under such setups

Really thanx for you initial reply and would appreciate your calcification

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you for an absolutely amazing detailed response.. really appreciate the knowledge and time it took for to reply..

However Id appreciate a couple of clarifications

Lets forget about 4k/120hz...

If i was to optimize the setup for 1440p/120hz HDR then doe I have to:

1) do the same process for 4k/120 ie...
  • select 2560x1440resolution
  • refresh rate = 120hz
2) Will i need the Chroma 444 for 1440p/120?? .. for your info Im currently playing Forza Horizon 5 and F1 2021.. thats it!!.. so not sure if these game would preform better under such setups

Really thanx for you initial reply and would appreciate your calcification

The RTX-2xxx series don't allow 10-bit RGB over HDMI only 8-bit or 12-bit, see if you can do 12-bit RGB at 1440p 120hz in HDR mode (I cant recall if it works).

8-bit will degrade HDR, it should be 10-bit or 12-bit.

With RGB chroma 444 is only correctly displayed if using PC mode, you don't need it for console centric games like Forza.

If 12-bit RGB does not work then you will have to try 12-bit YCC 422 output at 1440p 120hz HDR.

If using HDR also turn on HGIG in game optimizer settings under HDR tone mapping, also if you want better SDR emulation as windows forces HDR on for everything go into windows->settings->system->display->HD colour settings drag the SDR/HDR balance slider down to 15 or thereabouts.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom