• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTPC to LG 42" Plasma

L

Longhorn

My HTPC will be situated in the corner of my living room and my LG Plasma about 4 Metres away from the HTPC. The TV has S video, Scart, HDMI, DVi & a 9 pin monitor socket on the rear. Which cable would be best to run from HTPC considering the distance,
I have a long scart lead which i ran earlier in the coomb but am concerned as to the PQ loss when using Svid to Scart??

Thanks in advance

LH

avanzato

Established Member
I connect to my LG by the VGA input as I found it to be the most compatible with resolutions, the HDMI is very choosy.

MartinH32

Prominent Member
I use a VGA into my LG plasma, although it is a real pain to get a smooth picture and I am still not happy with it. I have tried the 50hz reg hack and powerstrip!

avanzato

Established Member
Which LG do you have? I can't run 848x480 at 60Hz as it just goes blank so have to run at 75Hz. My efforts with Powerstrip didn't go anywhere either.

L

Longhorn

I have LG42PX5D - would VGA be as good a picture as going from S-vid to scart ??

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

LH

MartinH32

Prominent Member
avanzato said:
Which LG do you have? I can't run 848x480 at 60Hz as it just goes blank so have to run at 75Hz. My efforts with Powerstrip didn't go anywhere either.

I have tried at 848x480 at 50hz which powerstrip will do but it makes no difference. I am pulling my hair out over this. I run it through RGB1 input which is a VGA input. I have also tried RGB2 which is a DVI input with no difference in results.

MartinH32

Prominent Member
Longhorn said:
I have LG42PX5D - would VGA be as good a picture as going from S-vid to scart ??

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

LH

VGA should be better.

MartinH32

Prominent Member
avanzato said:

Do you have any problems with flicker running at 75hz?

avanzato

Established Member
MartinH32 said:
Do you have any problems with flicker running at 75hz?
Do you mean stuttering on pans. I watched a couple of DVD's last night and they looked quite smooth. Have you tried 75Hz, how does it look to you?

So far it's only 75Hz that I can display 'native' without getting a blank screen so I don't have much choice. Though I do remember a setting in the service menu 'AV/PC' that I didn't know what it did, maybe it opens up new resolutions on the panel for computers.

Embarker

Established Member
I got hacked off with mine the other day as it was at 1024x768 with mce, so changed it to the next lower widescreen res in mce - huge difference over vga. No need to use the "zoom" now!!!

Finally pictures are in the right aspect ratio................

Even web surfing was easier on the eye:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom