1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC to 5.1 surround sound or stereo for music

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by U187146, Oct 30, 2005.

1. U187146

U187146
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not the right board, but this is all related to my ongoing HTPC set up, so I thought I would start here.

Setting up HTPC in living room with will have need for 5.1 surround sound and pure stereo when listening to music. I will be investing in decent front left / right speakers which will handle the stereo music when I only need this. I want to avoid the sub woofer coming on when music is playing, as this won't be needed with 2 decent speakers.

I think I know what to do, but I haven't really set up surround sound before, so would appreciate any recommendations you have with regard to the equipment and connections to use. I'm using in-ceiling speakers.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,387
    are you gonna be using a dolby reciever? or HTPC straight to poweramps?

3. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Errr, you might want to rethink this..........

I use Kef Q5 floorstanders, but love the extra dimension my REL Quake adds to both movies/TV and stereo music. My livingroom is quite big though...

I use a Yamaha multi channel amp/receiver (can't remember model # but was award winner 3 years ago) and it sounds pretty sh!te without the sub for 2 channel audio playback; movies do better but it's quite simple to switch between stereo and multi channel using the remote when the need arrises.

The sub is connected via LFE and if set up properly, it's a seamless transition between 2 and multi channel output. And if you're using in ceiling speakers, the extra bass is needed even more.........

D.