HTPC Specs - Will this do the job?

MorgUK

Standard Member
Hi All,

Just a quick post to get some advice and a sanity check on the build I'm planning. I'm looking to build a HTPC that will be sufficient for playing most, if not all media types, as well as capable of being used for gaming.

I already have a few components being taken from my current gaming machine (HDDs, Optical Drives, Sound Card, etc, etc) so am just going to list what I plan to purchase.

Zalman HD160+ Black
MSI 790GX-G65 AMD 790GX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core 710 2.6GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail
Tagan PipeRock TG600-BZ 600w Modular BZ Series Power Supply
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 10666C9 1333MHz TwinX Dual Channel
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 Toxic 512MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI

I would appreciate some feedback on whether these are all compatible components and are sufficient for what they will be used for. I am trying to work to a budget (loosely :)) so if there are any components that are excessive and cheaper alternatives are available please let me know.

Cheers,

Morg

Razor

Distinguished Member
Your list is fine mate. If you can game on it, you can play HD movies. :)

You might want to get some after market fans to keep the noise levels down and push more air through your htpc case.

These will work perfectly and are only 11dB full speed.

SWiF-801 80mm Case Fan

MorgUK

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick reply and cheers for recommending quieter case fans :smashin:. I must admit it had completely slipped my mind.

Next step then is to go a hunting for best prices. Will look to dig out my camera and post some pics of the build and the finished article with the rest of my AV setup.

Thanks again.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
As Razor has already mentioned the case fans, what about the heatsink? The Sythe MiniNinja will fit (double check they have a AMD III fitting version though).

I also have some pics and a mini review of the case in my thread if it helps.

Razor

Distinguished Member
Good luck with the build. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom