HTPC Spec

nitro1471

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is this a decent spec for a HTPC system, I would want to record from TV and Sky and poss stream to another PC wirelessly if poss.

GIGABYTE KN8 PRO SLI motherboard runs Athlon 64bit,Dual core, FX64 etc 939 pin processors and take Dual Channel RAM upto 4GB.

1 x ATHLON 64 BIT PROCESSOR 3000+ (1.81 GHZ)
1 x GIGABYTE 6600GT PCI EXPRESS CARD (SLI)
1 x CLUB 6600GT PCI EXPRESS CARD (SLI)
1 x GB RAM (2 x 512 MB) DDR400 PC3200
1 x SAMSUNG 200GB SATA 2 HARD DRIVE
1 x HAUPPAUGE PCI DIGITAL FREEVIEW TV CARD

MEDIA CENTER EDITION 2005 INSTALLED WITH NVIDIA PUREVIDEO DECODER ALL ACTIVATED AND LEGAL COPIES.

1 x OFFICAL MICROSOFT MEDIA CENTER KEYBOARD AND REMOTE CONTROL WITH RECEIVER

ALL FITTED IN T2 SILENTIUM SLIVER CASE WITH DUAL FANS AND 450W (actuall power output) PSU.

Black Pioneer DVD RW RAM Drive.

They are asking £400 delivered for this (It is a used system)

Would this be any good and do you think the price is right, the parts alone seem to come to approx £562

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated as this is my first foray into HTPC.

Its an OK spec for the price, but if you want to run the new windows vista which will be launched in jan 2007 than a faster PSU than the 1.8Ghz is recommended. Around the 2.4Ghz I believe and you may require more RAM, I would splash out a bit more and get a faster processor if I were you.

Thanks for that Sbowler, do you know if this motherboard would take a faster cpu, I know it has a 4 gig ram capacity so that is no problem.
Cheers Bob :)

sbowler said:
than a faster PSU than the 1.8Ghz is recommended. Around the 2.4Ghz I believe and you may require more RAM

me thinks u mean CPU....

but i guess u was looking at psu's at the time u wrote the msg :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom