dibdab

I just bought a new 4k tv and would like to connect my HTPC to this and still get sound from my old Pioneer LX-52 AV receiver, which doesn't support 4k passthrough or even ARC.

I saw a thread somewhere which I can't find now saying that I could use a display port to HDMI adapter to connect to the TV and then use the HDMI to connect to my AV receiver for sound only.

I bought a display port adapter which is faulty.

But if i get display port to HDMI adaptor that supports 4k at 60hz and HDR passthrough to the TV will this solution work?

Can anyone recommend an adaptor that works or is a HDMI splitter best?

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
But if i get display port to HDMI adaptor that supports 4k at 60hz and HDR passthrough to the TV will this solution work?’ potentially yes.

Can anyone recommend an adaptor that works’ -
One to maybe ask in the HTPC Forum, it’s been a while since we had to do it and it can be hit or miss and haven’t had to support HDR.

is a HDMI splitter best?’ Not unless you get something with a dedicated HDMI Audio Out and EDID management to ensure you get the optimum signal to both the Display and the AVR.

I take it you can’t add a second HDMI Out to the HTPC?

Joe

dibdab

But if i get display port to HDMI adaptor that supports 4k at 60hz and HDR passthrough to the TV will this solution work?’ potentially yes.

Can anyone recommend an adaptor that works’ -
One to maybe ask in the HTPC Forum, it’s been a while since we had to do it and it can be hit or miss and haven’t had to support HDR.

is a HDMI splitter best?’ Not unless you get something with a dedicated HDMI Audio Out and EDID management to ensure you get the optimum signal to both the Display and the AVR.

I take it you can’t add a second HDMI Out to the HTPC?

Joe
Sorry I thought I was in the HTPC forum.

The graphics card is a xfx 570 8gb. It has one HDMI 2.0a port and 3 display ports. I'm currently using it with windows 10.

I've borrowed this card from another PC as it's not possible to buy graphics cards currently at sensible prices.

dibdab

Thanks, A bit pricey. Will need to give it some thought.

razy60

I just bought a new 4k tv and would like to connect my HTPC to this and still get sound from my old Pioneer LX-52 AV receiver, which doesn't support 4k passthrough or even ARC.

I saw a thread somewhere which I can't find now saying that I could use a display port to HDMI adapter to connect to the TV and then use the HDMI to connect to my AV receiver for sound only.

I bought a display port adapter which is faulty.

But if i get display port to HDMI adaptor that supports 4k at 60hz and HDR passthrough to the TV will this solution work?

Can anyone recommend an adaptor that works or is a HDMI splitter best?

Thanks
Did this a few years ago, display port to hdmi only outputs 4k at 30hz.
I used this cable
Startech DisplayPort to HDMI 4K... Amazon product

dibdab

Did this a few years ago, display port to hdmi only outputs 4k at 30hz.
I used this cable
Startech DisplayPort to HDMI 4K... Amazon product

Thank you, Does this adaptor pass through hd audio?

I'm now thinking that if I can set up two displays with different resolutions I could use the display port adaptor to connect to the amp to passthrough the audio and leave the HDMI connected to the tv for 4k 60hz HDR connection.

It's kind of frustrating updating to 4k as there seems to be no set standards anywhere. I did just want a one box solution, as I had before but adding HDR into the mix kills that, As windows only supports the HDR 10 standard, the inbuilt tv app support Dolby vison from Netflix, but then I need ARC to output to the amp to get Dolby digital plus. So will be sticking with optical from the TV for time being and just using the computer to watch ripped disks from Kodi. Could use the TV but will loss HD Audio.

next010

Distinguished Member
It should the Radeon 570 isn't that old, DP can handle HD audio.

HTPC's I'm afraid are not very common anymore, media player set top boxes have taken over and Kodi is on most of them as a one box solution or closer to that then a PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom