HTPC + Sony KDFE50A12 Help Needed!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by BandofBrothers, Aug 22, 2006.

1. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi guys.

I have a Sony KDFE50A12 (50" rear pro) hdtv (720p\1080i)

I have a decent spec acer laptop (new one) and I am trying to hook it up, so I can play HD content and upscale dvd's

For now, I am just using a bog standard VGA cable, and I cannot seem to increase the resolution enough to "true" HD resolutions.

As soon as I increase it past a certain resolution, the hdtv just goes black and says "out of range"

Does anyone use a HTPC with this EXACT hdtv? if so, could you provide me with step by step instructions on how to set it up, and what tools\software to use.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

2. Mr Blunden

Mr Blunden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  3. david230

david230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Good link!!

Hope you dont mind me asking this question on your post BofB. Where could I get a cheap vga-dvi cable (7m -10m).

Do they crop up alot on ebay?

4. ziphnor

ziphnor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I did until the TV broke down for good. You might as well forget VGA as that input supports a VERY limited set of resolutions. The Pixel x Pixel mode is only implemented correctly in 800x600, if you try 1024x768 in Pixel x Pixel it will not overscan the 48 lines as it should, but instead downscale 768p -> 720p. Dont read about the US version, its very different and apparently does support 1280x768 correctly, so it wont help you. You wont get 720p over VGA, the TV wont allow the input, trust me, i tried ALOT.

With DVI->HDMI you can output 1280x720 and get 1:1 on a vertically, but there are some major problems horisontally which seemed not to be 1:1 problems but rather some serious image filtering/sharpening going on.

See this for details:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2353381&postcount=54

As to VGA->DVI i would be very careful, if its just cable and not a converter its only VGA->DVI-A, and i dont think VGA->DVI-A->HDMI will work.

5. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Can I ask what happened Ziphnor and did you get it replaced or not? (I haven't been around much last few months as I've been pretty ill again too much for internet).

1024 res for me is ok on VGA but I know of 2 friends what cannot get the same descent output as mine without serious problems with overscan etc... Ive used mine for a few months but I must admit I dont think its a good enough television to be used via desktop (so much so that when I get my new computer Im going back to a monitor). I messed about a lot with DVI-HDMI for 720p (as VGA is very limited to 1024x or weird resolutions around that) but I gave up with it as it really does kick in with overscan problems and mapping (and an awful blurring effect).

I would say it HAS been an excellent television for everything else like 360 and upscaled dvd but as my new topic posted at the weekend said Ive developed a ghosting fault on mine at 60hz on PAL/ NTSC (and its actually started to eat into standard PAL 50hz now as well) which has made my 360 unusable now and I've got an engineer coming from Currys tommorow to take a look :(

6. ziphnor

ziphnor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The TV got repaired just fine, the problem was unrelated to the service menu stuff, but it broke down yet again and it has been send back.

Actually it isnt a blurring effect, its a 'sharpening' effect, what you are seeing is massive edge enhancement on vertical edges, making fonts nearly unreadible. As i wrote back then, none of the test patterns revealed any scaling, but it certainly wasnt 1:1. Im pretty sure its just the TV attempting to 'enhance' the image, and failing miserably because its not video.

The TV was okay as a HTPC display apart from that and three other things:

1. The fact that it couldnt figure out that since HDMI was the only connected i probably wanted that as default when the TV turned on!
    2. The fan noise
    3. The 30-45 secs it takes it to turn on.

7. MacNewbie

MacNewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone advise whether or not a 42in or 50in 3LCD TV is recommended for use with a HTPC &/or a Desktop in general (for browsing the internet, Word docs, web-page coding etc) as am a little unsure whether or not these are suitable for hooking up to a PC or a Mac (via DVI to HDMI lead/adapter). Is a 32" LCD Panel more suited?.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thank you.