• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTPC Software Remote Control

tobyjuggler

Does anyone have any recommendations for controlling a HTPC remotely via software (from another PC)? Once I put mine behind my TV, I won't want to touch the keyboard and mouse again if possible and don't have and wireless controllers for it.

I'm considering something like Ultra VNC as it doesn't appear to be too system hungry, but if there's anything else out there that does a better job, I'd be interested to hear about it. Thanks.

wkc

Standard Member
I use UltraVNC on my home network. Pretty good, and you can set it up as a service so it auto starts and use encryption (if you use wireless) and have password access. However, I don't think it will display the picture from some AV software correctly, due to the way the display is copied. Best to try and see.

mossym

Distinguished Member
vnc will do exactly what you want, or else windows remote desktop

i have VNC loaded on a dell axim, so i can log into my htpc from anywhere in the house and change the music that is playing, works very well

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I used to use VNC a lot with my previous XP MCE installation.

(This PC had a VGA to RGB SCART cable and a custom 1024x576/50i display mode in Powerstrip - as it was the only way to get a high quality RGB SD display from a PC - the TV outputs from video cards were unwatchable. If anything went wrong with the custom video mode - which meant I couldn't see the PC output on my TV screen, I either had to use VNC or plug in a VGA monitor. VNC always did the trick for me!)

jameson_uk

I use RealVNC (the free version 4 is a little hard to locate on their website).

Works really well

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom