1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Htpc Set Up Help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chris thomas, Feb 5, 2003.

1. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just started the htpc route and need a step by step help please on exactly how to go about setting it up correctly,, i have a radeon 9700 dual output graphics card which is connected to a sony ht11 pj by a svga cable running from the dvi output of the card,, i,ve downloaded powerstrip and also have theatertek ready for the software, sorry for sounding a complete spanner but a complete step by step set up would be very appreciated,,cheers in advance, main things are the dual output set up from the radeon 9700 and the custom resolution settings from powerstrip to the sony, thanx again. :) :smashin:

2. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Ozzy,
    What OS are you goiong to use?
    Tim

3. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi tim, i,m using xp home edition,,cant even seem to figure out how to get a picture from the radeon to my pj at the mo,,,it says something to do with select clone mode,,please help m8 ;)

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Chris your pm box is full, i can't send you a reply:smoke:
    Tim

5. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry tim, sorted

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Chris
    Is your sony the VPL-VW11HT if it is, it has a 1,366 x 768 native resolution @ 60hz.
    Just looked at the Sony's spec & it has component input & no VGA so connecting to the standard VGA port on the 9700 will not work, you will have to re-connect to the DVI.
    Are you sure the cable is correct for the DVI, sounds like you may have a standard VGA to phono's cable whereas your going to need a DVI to phono cable.
    Sorry i can't be of more help i have no experience of the DVI.
    Take a gander in the LCD forum they should see you right.
    Cheers.
    Tim.

7. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers tim, its is the ht 11 and the cable i hav is a vga to 5 rca input on the component input of th projecter , thanx
    ;)

8. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Chris,
    Another development the DVI socket can be used with a dongle to CONNECT TO a VGA port

Full article here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1577

Looks like you can't connect the Sony without using a vga to component transcoder.
    I could be wrong but to me it looks probable.
    Tim

9. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Chris, what's the full model number of your PJ cos i can't find anything on the HT11.
    Tim

10. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cable you have sounds fine to me, the same as I use from my 7500 to a 10ht. It should be marked Red,Green,Blue,Horizontal sync and Vertical sync, in abbreviation form. Depending on which bank of inputs you have selected either A or B you need to select that input to receive the signal in computer mode by pressing the menu button and making the appropriate selection. Open up powerstrip and select custom timings and resolutions and select the appropriate one e.g 1366x768. I think that you should set up on single monitor out from the graphics card before adding another monitor as this may complicate things.
    Dave

11. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tim,,it is the sony vpl vw11 ht,,, someone has just said they r connecting from the radeon via the dvi with the dongle,,still cant seem to get a pic on mine though :confused: