HTPC Scalers any good or use a external version help

Meridius

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am building a new HTPC and was wanting to know if its better to let the PC send 1080p to my tv which is a pioneer lx5090 or let the tv do the upscaling or use my yamaha 3900 built in upscaler which is the ABT 1010 scaler or should i use somthing better.

I have a denon2500bt and was wanting to replace it using a HTPC for playing blu-rays and dvds,divx,mkv files.

I was asking a question on a different forum about sending my tv 576i/480i to my tv or scaler from a pc but still been able to send 1080p blu-ray and many said that pcs are just as good as upscaling as some top of the range scalers is this true ?

at the moment i use the denon2500bt for dvds/blu-ray and my ps3 for divx,mkvs which is set to 1080p so the ps3 upscales the pictures to my tv.

i was wanting some help about if pcs are just as good and if that any users in here use HTPC and how you got yours setup.

the GFX would be an nvidia 9400 chip.

thanks for any help

Your Pioneer tv will "upscale" at 10-bits of more, i.e. in billions of colours, and unless your HTCP or amp has HDMI 1.3 then their output will likely be limited to 8-bit colour.

PDP-LX5090 Pioneer KURO Television - Flat Screen TVs

Also, the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 has some pretty good deinterlacing and video processing features; give them a try feeding sources directly to the display.

Sending 480i/576i to your tv should produce excellent results, especially for DVDs that are movies.

The key difference between an HTPC than say a Lumagen Radiance, is that the Radiance has unparalleled ring-free scaling and also has the ability to fine-tune the colour correction to the N-th degree so that one gets perfect colour reproduction (I am not familiar with any PC software that does the same).

StooMonster

StooMonster

hi there thanks yes my amp does support hdmi 1.3 32bit, what would you say would be better then as many people say that pcs scalers are better well what i read.

can you output 576i/480i/ 1080p at the same tme ?

also would a HTPC be better than a ps3 outputing 1080p ?

thanks for any help or info

PCs can be very good (dScaler used to be the defacto when I was last looking at this but when I last checked, the project seemed to have withered on the vine) - what software have people been recommending for media scaling & playback? And are there particular video cards being suggested?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom