1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC - Radeon 9100/9200 Onboard Graphics and SPDIF Question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by siwatkins, May 21, 2004.

1. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thinking about getting an Asus P4R800-V Deluxe motherboard (this one ) which has the ATI chipset and onboard 9200 Gfx. The board comes with TV-Out and seems just about perfect for a P4 based HTPC.

Any comments on the onboard Gfx for HTPC duties? I'll be running it with a P4 2.53Ghz processor, oodles of memory etc.

It will predominantly just be used for a TV interface to a CD jukebox, slideshows etc, as I'm happy with the separate DVD player I have. I'm building it into a Rotel 10 Series case to match the rest of my kit, and thus the integral graphics are a boon. Priority is a decent TV picture, as I won't be using a monitor in the living room!

The other Question relates to the SPDIF - I'm right in assuming that SPDIF into my 1066 should be pretty damn good quality? I'm not going to acheive anything by having a separate more expensive sound card if I'm using a digital connection?

Appreciate any comments,

Simon

2. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I would also like an answer to this. I am about to purchase the same mobo and wondered if the SPDIF out is the same as a cheap soundcard with SPDIF out.

Cheers,

Ajax.

3. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm probably not the one to give a definitive answer; but as long as you're not asking for much in terms of 3D, the on-board should be fine.

I run a similar chipset (a Radeon 9000 Pro card), with wonderful results via s-video to a TV and output to DVI and VGA. In terms of s-video, users' experiences - and perhaps, expectations - appear to vary (for example, my brother's last card, a 'better' 9500 Pro was indeed terribly blurry on his television), but there shouldn't* be any problems with 9200 performance. It is important to note that the blurry image may not have been a fault of the 9500 Pro, of course. I know that my old TV gives a pleasing image via s-video and when new, it was several times the cost of my brother's - which I suppose could count for something... I hope! :D

*That's my 'PC waiver'! :laugh:

In terms of audio output, I'm using what, around these parts, would be classed as 'very low-end' gear; but the recent switch to digital (still with nVidia's on-board Soundstorm chipset) was eye-opening. I knew that the analogue output was bad (though that may have been due (in part) to the software); but couldn't prepare for the smile that a simple co-ax cable brought forth.

However, as I have said, I am using "very low-end" gear and people have preferences or tastes that may provide a rather varied response on the matter. I just know that I won't be upgrading... :smashin: