1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Htpc Psu

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by garyc, Aug 5, 2004.

1. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Could anyone please give a recommendation for a quiet PSU?

cheers

Gary

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well it really depends on how much you want to spend and how quiet you are after. I have been looking at these two makes for my new HTPC.

SilenX make some nice PSUs starting at around £60 for a 300w to about £130 for a 520w version and can be had from Kustom PCs

Or if you really crave silence then what about the Silentmaxx fanless PSUs which go from £130 for a 423w to £159 for a 503w version which contrary to it's name has a fan more for protection than anything as it can be set to only activate above a certain temperature. These can be got from SilentPC

Cheers, Lee

3. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just upgraded my quiet Antec to a SilenX 450W model. Both are very good IMO. Silenx is closer to silence tho'! I've got my Antec up for sale (exclusively on these forums) if any one's interested.
    Steve

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    these have got to be on the shortlist too...

Qtechnology

quite a bit cheaper than SilenX and just as quiet..

5. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I had a 300W "Quiet PSU" from quietpc.com (it packed in). It was certainly quiet, but not silent. Are these SilenX PSU genuinely silent? For me, silent means I can watch TV on the PC and not hear anything (other than the TV). The Quiet PSU was (just) audilble. Is it better to have something with a fan to shift air out rather than a fanless PSU?

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I just replaced the fan in the psu with a 19db Papst fan and it dropped over 5dbs - probably more, but my sound level meter was then reading below it's sensitivity level so I don't know how much it really dropped.

Anyway, it was relatively cheap, and it's been going strong for around 3 years or so now, so it's not had any negative short term affects. I also removed the tin finger guard to reduce air flow noise and it's now very quiet. You can get low noise 80mm fans from CPU coolers which will do the job, and some have speed controllers on them which allow some custom spead tweaking whilst monitoring the PSU temp (if you have the facility). £8 or less for a suitable HS/fan will probably do the trick.

Gary.

7. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a SilenX and in my opion it is not "silent" - it is very quiet but not silent. It makes a quiet gush of air noise.

You certainly can't hear it over the TV ( even a faily low volume ) but if the TV is off and there is no other ambient noise in the room then you are aware of a faint noise.

A fanless PSU would mean you are losing a method of air circulation and doesn't sound a great idea unless you have other case fans installed anyway, or your CPU is cooled by circulating water.