HTPC PSU recommendation?

pstones578

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a new cpu / mobo / fan / RAM for my 8 year old HTPC. I kept the case / hdd's / PSU. Problem is that the 'new' system will not start and I think it's because my old PSU (380w) only has a 4 pin EATX12V (EPS?) cable instead of an 8 pin one that the mobo has. The fans / nic / etc all lamp up.

Can anyone recommend a PSU that is at least 400W that will fit the bill? Needs to power 3 sata hdd and also have a few molex too.

I'm looking at this one. Powercool 550W ATX PC Power Supply | Maplin

I really want to go and get this sunday so would apreciate it if someone could recommend I can buy tomorrow.

This is my old PSU FYI Antec SU380 power supply (in NSK2400 case) | silentpcreview.com

Thanks in advance.

In the past I have managed to get old PSU's to work with new motherboards by buying adapters from ebay. I am not sure if this is risky or not, but I have never had any problems where I have done that.

The last couple of PSU's that I have bought have been BeQuiet ones, they seem fine, and quiet, and come with quite a long manufacturer warranty. Thge modular ones are good as easier for cable management inside the case.

I'd avoid any unbranded models like that, they tend to be poor quality and incorrectly rated. In reality it's entirely possible it's not going to provide any more power than your current PSU and certainly less than a real 550W model.

Unless you've got a really power hungry CPU in there (i7-5000 or Xeon) it's likely the 8 pin socket is to provide overclocking headroom. It's worth checking the motherboard manual as many explicitly state whether or not they'll work with a 4 pin connector (in the 8-pin slot).

If you want to buy from Maplin then looking on their site the XFX Pro 450W is the best option. Although maplin are asking a bit much for it, you can pick it up for under £35 elsewhere, so if you have other local computer shops it may be worth looking around.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom