HTPC Project - My Build Story

Finally, another gripe for you. Why do ATI & AMD insist of making the cataylst CCC software taller then 720 pixels???? its a right pain in the rear getting the config screens when setting the desktop resolution around the 1280x720 mark!!!!! :nono:

In CCC switch the skin from default to system and it'll fit. An old trick I learned way back in the days when I was using a custom scart cable, powerstrip and a CRT TV!

Welcome back...:D

D.

Firstly, thanks to Mickwall for the excellent write up! :thumbsup:

I've pretty much followed (read copied) your build here (used a different case due to space constraints) but have an issue that I hope someone might be able to help with...

Basically, I am only getting stereo sound from the rear analogue audio jacks :confused:

Have a rev 1.0 Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo (BIOS ver F1), LG GGC-H20L Lightscribe SATA 16xDVD BluRay player, 4850e cpu, 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDD and 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 RAM, upgraded to Power DVD 8 Ultra as I read that using the free version accompanying the LG BR drive only outputs in stereo.

I've tested all of the 3.5mm - Phono audio cables that I have attached, which work fine when plugged in to the green audio out jack on the back of the mobo, connected to the multichannel input on my Onkoyo 606.

S/PDIF output seems to work fine, outputting the 5.1 DTS mix.

Have downloaded latest drivers, both from the gigabyte website and the realtek site itself (on advice from the gigabyte tech support) as well as trying the drivers that came with the motherboard itself to no avail. Also updated the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio after installing CCC.

Double checked the soound device properties in Control Panel and have definitely got the speaker setup set correctly (to 7.1 home theatre), although testing 5.1, 4.0 setups there and in the realtek sound manager also didn't help.

Been through nearly all of the GA-MA78GM-S2H thread on the AVS forums (made my eyes bleed!), but didn't really find anything especially useful, other than a suggestion to update to one of the later BIOS versions, although I find it hard to believe this would remedy the issue.

Now am kind of at a loss as to what to try next (other than sticking forks in my ears so I won't notice whether I get any sound whatsoever!!!)?

Am thinking it has to be a hardware fault with the motherboard, and since it's now been longer than 30 days since purchase, doubt that scan would take it back so would presumably need to be replaced under the manufacturers warranty if indeed it is a hardware issue?

As an aside, the PC takes over 5 mins to boot up, and seems to hang on the blue 'windows is starting up' splash screen - something I did read about on the AVS forums and might be resolved by updating the BIOS?

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue and could shed some light on the situation? :lease:

Managed to get the mobo replaced by Gigabyte and all is now working :thumbsup:

Was RMA'd and found to have hardware fault; the new one is still a rev 1.0, but boots up in under a minute and the ears are fully submerged in multichannel-audio-goodness :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom