HTPC Peformance - You Don't Need a Fancy Graphics Card unless you're going BR/HD-DVD

Hi,
I need some advice on my HTPC setup. I have the E4300 Core 2 Duo cpu running at stock speed, so 1.8, 2GB of RAM and the ATI 2600 graphics card. After reading this thread, am I correct in thinking this setup should be able to handle everything thrown at it (media wise)?

I am finding that it plays 720p files OK, really struggles on 1080i files and forget about 1080p!

What am I doing wrong? :lease:

Thanks

Hi,
I need some advice on my HTPC setup. I have the E4300 Core 2 Duo cpu running at stock speed, so 1.8, 2GB of RAM and the ATI 2600 graphics card. After reading this thread, am I correct in thinking this setup should be able to handle everything thrown at it (media wise)?

I am finding that it plays 720p files OK, really struggles on 1080i files and forget about 1080p!

What am I doing wrong? :lease:

Thanks

Yes, your box should easily cope with all HD content.

What are these files? What codecs have you got in place?

Maybe this is a question for the codec thread?

Have you checked out that thread and worked through it??
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652538

Thanks for the reply, Mickwall!

As far as i'm aware the only codes installed are from ffdshow. (can't check as i'm at work ;)) Do you think it's likely to be a codec/software problem rather than a hardware failure or are there any settings that i need to change for the graphics card?

I'l have a look at the other thread as well..

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, Mickwall!

As far as i'm aware the only codes installed are from ffdshow. (can't check as i'm at work ;)) Do you think it's likely to be a codec/software problem rather than a hardware failure or are there any settings that i need to change for the graphics card?

I'l have a look at the other thread as well..

Cheers

i'd be 99% certain its a codec issue..... they usually are.

First thing i'd do is make sure you have the very latest version of ffdshow installed (download it if unsure).

Earlier versions of ffdshow had quite a few issues.

Once you've done that, try your files again and then post in the codec thread and we'll see what we can do! :smashin:

OK, I'll get the latest version of ffdshow and see if that makes any difference. Will post back tonight with the results!

Thanks again and also I've edited my thread so if you just edit your quote then that'll be great! :smashin:

I was just searching an issue I was having watching a full HD 1080p MKV movie (h264 codec) that for some reason was lagging the video and maxing out my CPU (AMD Phenom Quad core). I prefer the GOM player to all of the latest free video players, but whenever I'd try to watch this full 1080p movie to enjoy the capability of my new 24" Acer widescreen the video would lag horribly compared to the audio. I also notice when I try to watch full 1080p trailers on Apple.com in QuickTime it will seriously max out my CPU beyond belief and it even causes windows on my Windows XP operating system to disappear on the screen even though I didn't minimize them (the red closing box disappearing, etc.). But when I read your specs sheet and saw the comparison from an Intel to an AMD processor - something I've been trying to find for watching HD movies on a PC - I noticed you used Media Player Classic. I used to have the player, but after re-installing a fresh copy of Windows I forgot to re-download it as GOM was the main player I use(d). I've tried VLC, Mplayer, etc., Windows Media, QuickTime, but none do 1080p (h264) MKV movies any justice on my PC. Then I re-downloaded Media Player Classic thanks to your spec sheet reminding me about it. Needless to say, it plays the video just fine - only clocking out one of my four cores on my AMD Phemon processor. I don't understand it. I wish it were a lot easier to grasp, but apparently codecs are really complicated stuff. I'm just glad I finally found a media player that can render 1080p properly. Thank you!

Which version of mediaplayer did you download? I tried several and they all hang when I click on File - I can't even get to the Open option it hangs so quickly. I'm using XP SP3 by the way.

Quickish question to anyone - I've an old PC with an Athlon XP 3200+ and AGP mobo, would getting an 2400 or 2600 AGP GPU give it enough power to play back from HD DVD and Bluray disks?

Quickish question to anyone - I've an old PC with an Athlon XP 3200+ and AGP mobo, would getting an 2400 or 2600 AGP GPU give it enough power to play back from HD DVD and Bluray disks?

I'm just in the process of upgrading my HTPC, so my old 2600Pro AGP card is going into my Shuttle PC that uses an overclocked XP2600 mobile to the same clock speed as your XP3200+. I'll try it with some recordings off BBC HD to see how it copes, which should be some indication of how well it can play a BluRay. It might be a few days before I get chance to do this as it involves upgrades for two other people as well. :rolleyes:

Found a review for the AGP version of the 3850 running on an Athlon 64 3400+ here. Given how close the graph is to 100% with that combination and their comments about playback it doesn't sound hopeful for my XP 3200+ or your XP 2600. Still, if you get a chance to test your set-up let me know.

Just bought this motherboard -

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3500.

Seemed a bargain at less than £50 and had to be skt775 as below -

Have a core 2 6400 and 2 gb swapped out of my gaming pc for a new media pc using this motherboard above.

Replaced these with a quad core and 8gb ram in the gaming pc.

Regarding this media pc mobo asus states this - "Due to Intel VGA driver for Windows XP does not include screen scraper defense, so HD-DVD and Blu-Ray can only run under Windows Vista OS" - this phrase means nothing to me.

Do i need Vista, my current playback is via dvi to hdmi lead for dvd files only.

This new board is hdcp compliant whatever that means.

Also bought one of the last Pioneer blu ray drives from Pcworld today at £50.

Aim to watch blu ray on my front room plasma with a minimum of hassle.

The bluray player came with cyberlink bd solution including power dvd 7.3(2 channel only).

The sound is output via digital spdif to my Home cinema Amp.

Any advice appreciated on whether i can achieve playback now or need vista. What software will give me 5.1 surround. 2 channel is no good.

And can i play back ups of my original blu rays from hard drive.

Can't wait never really seen true HD yet.

Regarding this media pc mobo asus states this - "Due to Intel VGA driver for Windows XP does not include screen scraper defense, so HD-DVD and Blu-Ray can only run under Windows Vista OS" - this phrase means nothing to me.

Do i need Vista, my current playback is via dvi to hdmi lead for dvd files only.

The screen scraper method was a way of pirating Blu-ray and HD-DVD content by playing them one frame at a time and screen grabbing them to create an unprotected copy - which the XP screen driver apparently provides no defence against, but the Vista one does.

No idea if this is still the case - but officially Blu-ray and HD-DVD playback of copyright content shouldn't take place on a system with a non-screen scrape aware driver?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom