HTPC; OSX vs Windows

mkelbie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of building a new HTPC for my media content and I may choose a Mac mini this time instead of a windows machine.

I just want to know the advantages/disadvantages of the 2 and what has the best features.

I know with windows i can run xbmc, play full 3D bluray with HD lossless audio and it will safely run sabnzb & sickbeard plus run emulators for retro gaming and even some 3D games if I want with a 360 controller.

Gaming is not my main objective as I have my gaming rig for that but I just don't like messing about switching from monitor to TV just to watch a film or tv show. I am familiar with osx and wouldn't have issues using it but just looking for feedback on the best OS for a HTPC as not sure which mac minis are best for 1080p and if any can play a blu ray or 3D with hdmi 1.4.

Lossless audio I do believe from reading other threads is an issue with OSX but I don't even know if my budget amp/speakers really needs DTS HD master as I am sure DTS core will be sufficient.

Thanks

You'd be much better off with a Windows system.

OS X is very poor for HTPC purposes. No Blu-Ray support, iirc still no HD audio output and I doubt there's much 3D video support.

Whilst you can install Windows on the Mac mini, that thing is rather overpriced for the equivalent PC spec and you may still run into issues with regards to HD Audio & 3D output.

Stick with a PC. If you want small & compact, there's Mini ITX motherboards & cases. Or slightly bigger - Micro ATX motherboards & cases.

I can't really recommend anything personally, as I've always preferred Full ATX cases. More room for expansion and less worry about heat issues.

Aren't Macs just for writing church newsletters on? I haven't heard of anyone actually using one as a computer. :laugh:

Seriously, don't bother with trying to do anything techy on a Mac. Windows is the best route, Linux if you're hardcore!

I will probably stick to what I know then and build a new windows HTPC. Actually will post a wanted in the classifieds 1st see what that offers :)

Thanks for the input.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom