1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC or Quali-TV Box? Help me decide!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tony B, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK chaps, help me decide on this... :lease:

Do I invest in the Quali-TV 1080IRCI and get 5 years of the HD1 viewing card (which might get me other/additional content, if Sky use HD1 as a provider?), but mpeg2 only? Cost ca £550. Plus a CAM/Card combo or 2?

or

Do I get a satellite receiving card for my PC and buy some viewing cards/CAMs independently? Can you get CAMs to work with PC satellite cards? Will any of these be PCM format, for use with my laptop? Cost?

My primary interest, AFTER the HD stuff, is Canal+ and TV1000, so this might be more relevant in another forum, perhaps

I have a motorised dish (but need to replace the position controller) so I could use the QTV box for other non-HD sources from most satellites, except possible 28E, which might be obscured by a tree ....

Decisions decisions decisions.... :confused:

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    You can get PC DVB-S card with CI slots - and thus should be able to decrypt HD-1 and HD-2 legitimately with a suitable CAM and viewing card.

I think you are getting your Sky and HD-1 thoughts confused.

HD-1 (the service) may also be available on Sky's Astra 2 MPEG4 platform - presumably as encrypted MPEG4. This doesn't mean Sky HD content will be available on the Astra 1 satellite currently used for HD-1's MPEG2 transmissions.

For ease of use, then a set top box is the way to go. For doing "other stuff" then an HTPC is possibly more useful - as although it might not be MPEG4 suitable - it will still do other stuff if Euro1080 fold and cease MPEG2 HD.

3. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks, Stephen,

Perhaps my post created some confusion on the Sky front. What I was thinking was, if Sky start to take content from HD1, then there must be some consequent revenue in it for HD1, which could then fund additional content of their own.

This additional content would/should then be available to HD1 subscribers.

Also, if HD1 provide content to Sky, there should/might (?) be no problem with the same content being delivered to HD1 subscribers?

What I am getting at is, they do not need to be mutually exclusive, i.e. if it is shown on Sky (but originates from HD1) it should not mean that it cannot also be shown on HD1...

I am not assuming that Sky-originated material will find its way onto HD1, however.

My relationship with the English language seems to be somewhat "arms length" today....

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think you are possibly slightly confusing the role of Sky as a platform manager and Sky as a broadcaster.

I think that if HD-1 is carried as part of a Sky HD platform (which it makes sense, as it is a 24/7 source of quality European HD pictures - even if the content isn't to everybody's taste) - then the most Euro1080 will get is a "per subscriber" payment - as channels like MTV, UK Gold etc. get when they are broadcast on the Sky platform. They don't become "Sky" channels just because they are on the "Sky" platform.

This per subscriber payment may not be that much - but it may be enough to cover their carriage costs on Astra 2.

I think it is unlikely that programmes will transfer between channels - that would be like Sky One and UK Gold sharing stuff?

5. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think we are agreeing here, on almost everything:

1. Sky originated HD will not necessarily (in fact almost certainly will not) appear on HD1 and therefore will not be accessible to HD1 subscribers
    2. HD1 originated material might well appear via Sky's HD offering (and therefore need a Sky "HD" subscription to view in HD)
    3. HD1 should gain some additional revenue if they supply material to Sky
    4. Additional revenue ought to help fund new material within the HD1 service

However, under item (2) I would expect at least some (perhaps all, unless it is fully funded by Sky) HD1 originated material to appear via the HD1 service, and therefore be available to HD1 subscribers. So, if that is true the same material could be available via 2 different providers....?

Or am I being silly?

Rgds

Tony B

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY will not be the provider though, well not as such:)
    They will either just be providing some subscription managment for an independent broadcaster (HD1) to broadcast via SKY proprierty hardware and generate revenue or HD1/2 will be fully merged within SKY's subscription packages but still be broadcasting (encrypted) via other satellites.

So either way the broadasts from 19.2 and 28.2 will be the same.