HTPC or new processor?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Rich, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I have at the moment......
    Sky digi box and a DVD player attached to a Iscan HD(which outputs a digital audio signal).
    These are attached to a Rotel RSP1066 processor,then to a Korsun D9 amp(which is used in power amp mode),the korsun is also a 5.1 integrated amp as well.
    I want to get rid of my processor and just have the Korsun for amplification.The DVD player is ok(it has 5.1 analogue outputs).
    The problem is the sky box needs converting to an analogue signal, so would a HTPC be good for this(would the picture quality be de-graded quite a lot?) or should I just upgrade my processor and stick with the same general set-up?

2. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Anyone.........:lease:

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Persoanlly, I know of no way to input a digital signal such as that from a set-top box into a PC .. but then I don't use my HTPC for TV duties, don't know if a DVB card does that sort of thing.

4. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I thought some sound cards could act as a a DAC, or are HTPCs only digital in and digital out?
    Sorry, I'm really new to HTPCs.....as you can tell

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I use my RME 9632 to convert the optical digital output of my sky+ box into analogue to play on my system. Works fine, sounds better than the sky box's DA conversion too

6. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Wow....that's about £390.
    But I suppose if it replaces the Rotel processor I have, it works out cheaper.

7. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    If I got a HTPC, would the picture be better than my current DVD player and Sky through my Iscan HD?

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    the reason I've gone for a HCPC is getting different jobs done in just one box and being able to have very high quality video/audio.

I'm about to get some new kit which will be the last piece of the jigsaw (for a bit ;) ). the new stuff is basically a plasma, a new amp and some new speakers. I'm also going for a lumagen HDP to tidyup my sky pictures. I intend to connect the HCPC to the plasma direct as I think it should do a great job of the video side of things.

Until now I have tried using various different solutions to get my PC to do regular TV as well. unfortunately because sky refuses to allow easy access to their signal on a pc these attempts have largely failed. I've recently got sky+ and I know that there is no way I'd be able to recreate the ease of use that this system brings on a PC. I think this is a shame but not the end of the world.

The flow of media in my system will be:

CD Audio - Played by HCPC from ripped files on server, direct analogue connection from RME to Arcam A90 amp

DVD - Played from ripped files by HCPC, video direct to plasma, audio direct to Arcam amp (I'm getting the 7.1 channel upgrade and using power amps for the extra channels).

Sky TV - Video into the Lumagen HDP, audio by spdif connection into the HCPC and on to the Arcam via analogue connections (this allows me to do a psuedo pro-logic effect and direct a mix of the L/R channels to the centre speaker). It can't decode dolby digital unfortunately.

I think this is the best solution for me at the moment.

As an aside you can get hold of an RME for a bit less than that if you shop around: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RME-HAMMERFAL...oryZ3701QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HTH
    owain

9. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35

Hi, Does this work on 5.1 sources to analogue as well? I've been trying to do this with my Lynx 2b but had no success :(

tia

Gary

10. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Thanks for your help.
    It sounds as though a HTPC isn't really the way to go for me, from what you say.
    I didn't realize Sky didn't allow easy access to their signal.
    I think I'll have to upgrade the processor, to match the Korsun.

11. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    It would solve all my problems, if sky had a box with 5.1 analogue outs.

12. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    No, just 2 channel PCM sources at present :(

all I mean by this is that you can't readily put a card into your PC which will allow you to recieve sky transmissions on your PC (I know some people have done it with a DragonCAM but its not really straightforward sounding enough for me).

you can easily output an analogue video signal into something like a flyview2000 or sweetspot card if all you want is to scale the picture, its just that I've found these solutions too cumbersome compared to simply getting sky+ for using it as a PVR.