HTPC Noobie set up question

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by marcm, Mar 13, 2006.

1. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All
    I have bought an advent DHE 1000 (Win Media) and want to know the best way to setup for movie playback.
    I want to burn movies to my external drive (250GB) and play them wirelessly over my Netgear 108 mbs wirelessG Modem Router to the HTPC. The External HD is attached to my office PC. (Running Win XP)
    What is the best way to "backup the movies" onto the drive any recommendations? Should I stick with Windows Media as the player, or any other recommendations?
    I will be out putting to a HD plasma (either Panny or Pioneer, once I've moved house next month)
    Spec of the PC is below
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor 630

3.0GHz Clock-Speed

800MHz FSB, 2Mb Cache

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

1024 mb DDR RAM Memory

250 Gb Hard Disk Capacity

Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD RW

TV Tuner and Remote Control

128Mb nVidia 6600 graphics

802.11g Wireless Network Ready

2. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Anyone?:lease:

3. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    Use DVD Decrypter to rip the movies, then install the MCE My Movies plug in on your media center PC, pointing the store directory of each film to the network drive and folder (IMHO)

4. DNWILLIAMS

DNWILLIAMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Lisa is right, the only other thing I'd recommend is using dvd2one to compress the movie, around the 4.5GB size with all the extras, unwanted soundtracks and subtitles removed, they still play fine but it means you'll get more movies on your drive :smashin: you could also try dvd shrink, it'll rip the movie and compress it at the same time. I never had much success streaming movies via my wireless network, hard wired gives a much more satisfying watch, if you can get a cable to the back of your media centre my advice is do so, you'll struggle to stream any of the new HD material wirelessly, I have a number of HD movies stored on my NASlite file server and to succesfully stream them, I needed to upgrade the motherboard in the file server to support UDMA100, as a bit of future proofing I also upgraded to a gigabit network. On the old 100mbps network and DMA66 set up I had, the HD movies just wouldn't stream.

I love the "my movies" plug in, it's so cool :thumbsup: if you've got MCE get my movies it's great.