HTPC Nightmare!!!

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by dts_boy, Sep 6, 2012.

1. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I have had a HTPC for a while now and it works great for DVDs - use Anydvd to rip and Windows Media Centre and my movies to playback.
    I have upgraded
    + to Bluray and wanted to rip, convert to MKV and playback in the same fashion - i have bought anydvd hd and also makemkv later on as i realised that was easier. Ripped a bluray fine, converted filesize down using handbrake and kept the lossless audio track.
    Problem i have is when it comes to playback it only plays as DTS (i ripped Tron Legacy which has a DTS MA track).
    can't for the life of me get it to playback in lossless - if i play using VLC player it sees the 2x audio track options - lossless and dts but if lossless is selected still only dts?
    I am at a loss - not really that techie on computers but have checked graphics card (ATI radeon 5750) which i know is bit-streaming compatible running latest cataylst drivers - what am i missing?

I have reached a point where i would happily pay someone to configure and show me error of my ways - if only such a service existed, I am based in Manchester and will welcome any help!!!

2. muppetman74

muppetman74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I assume you are trying to get lossless audio through HDMI? If so, I just went through this with my Media Centre a few weeks ago when I bought my first AV receiver for ages...

My understanding (this may be incorrect but it worked for me!) is that although your graphics card supports bitstreaming, Media Centre and Windows need configuring to ensure they are bitstreaming the audio (you can google this). None of that worked for me, so I installed the LAV audio filters, and set HDMI bitstreaming for all type in the config box. That was all I did, and now get full bitstreaming of all formats on my receiver.

Hope that helps.

3. The Eggman72

The Eggman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    use xbmc will sort it no problem..latest nightly builds support hd audio..

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Will give this a try - everyone keeps telling me how great XBMC is but never really tried it...