1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Newbie seeks help - linking to my AE500

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wozwebs, Oct 26, 2005.

1. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi there guys, I am just about to get my hands on a 128mb PCI graphics card to go into my Dell Dimension 3000 2.4ghz PC (on board is only 32mb) and it has VGA, S-Video and DVI Outputs.

Now I have a Panny AE500 projector that I currently use with my Xbox and DVD Recorder with no problems.

I recently tried plugging the PC into the PJ via the VGA cable and thought the results looked great so I thought I would invest in a better graphics card and go from there. It is hard to find a good PCI Graphics Card but eventualy I have obtained a Powercolor Radeon 9200 SE for £30 from another forum.

I am not expecting it to be amazing or anything but I just want to be able to play some HD content through it. I have ordered a DVI-I cable from eBay as I understand this is the best connection?

The question I have really is will this enable me to play HD content and the next thing I need to work out is how to get sound to my 5.1 Sony reciever?

I have a Creative Audigy Z2 soundcard that enables 5.1 (I think) but it has no optical or coaxial output at the back.

All in all I am wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction, I will be back to bother you all about Powerstrip etc. once I have it all up and running ;)

2. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Could this be moved to the Projector forum? Might have more joy there, cheers :)

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Playback of HD is more dependant on the CPU than the graphics card, a 2.4GHz will be enough to play 720p stuff but 1080i stuff may only work in certain players due to CPU usage levels (I have this problem)

The most reliable player I've used that doesn't hamper my system is VLC Player, Theatertek is also good but it's not free so try VLC first.

One of the jacks on the sound card may double as a digital out, Creative often do this, could be a mini TOSLink or a 3.5mm analog jack that needs an adapter to make it a phono.

You shouldn't need powerstrip, just set the video card to output 1280x720 (which it should be able to do) and that's all you need.