1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark153, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Mark153

Mark153

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just got a Packard Bell iXtreme 2101 Media Center PC - don't flame me, it was a freebie through work!

It has a Freeview receiver/capture card pre-installed, WinMCE is working a treat, and games seem to be playing nicely.

Two issues however...

1. I am trying to hook the machine to my 4:3 rear projection Toshiba TV, and the HTPC only has a VGA monitor and a composite video output. The quality of composite is expectedly poor at 800x600, and the standard Windows environment is practically illegible at 1024x768. I have seen on other threads and forums mention of a VGA>RGB scart cable by a company called Keene, which costs about £70. Is this worth the investment? Will it just be a case of plug-in and go? I have an RGB scart socket on the back of the TV.

2. The PC does not have a video capture card installed. I have read good things about the Hauppauge PVR-350 and PVR-150MCE cards, but I am not sure what the key differences are between the two (besides the price). I have an S-VHS deck that I would like to hook up. Also: I cannot ascertain through the Hauppauge homepage whether or not either of these cards have an S-Video output, which I figure might be an adequate halfway measure to improving the PC's picture quality.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What is the native resolution of the TV? A Windows desktop will always look poor unless you can output it as the same resolution as the display can handle, otherwise the display's scaler will royally screw-up digital fonts.

An RGB signal is a LOT better than composite. I've not had one of those adapters but it should be 'plug and go' as I understand it.

'Fraid I can't help concerning TV cards, I have no use for them and so know little about them.