Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HTPC Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark153, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Mark153

Mark153

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just got a Packard Bell iXtreme 2101 Media Center PC - don't flame me, it was a freebie through work!

It has a Freeview receiver/capture card pre-installed, WinMCE is working a treat, and games seem to be playing nicely.

Two issues however...

1. I am trying to hook the machine to my 4:3 rear projection Toshiba TV, and the HTPC only has a VGA monitor and a composite video output. The quality of composite is expectedly poor at 800x600, and the standard Windows environment is practically illegible at 1024x768. I have seen on other threads and forums mention of a VGA>RGB scart cable by a company called Keene, which costs about £70. Is this worth the investment? Will it just be a case of plug-in and go? I have an RGB scart socket on the back of the TV.

2. The PC does not have a video capture card installed. I have read good things about the Hauppauge PVR-350 and PVR-150MCE cards, but I am not sure what the key differences are between the two (besides the price). I have an S-VHS deck that I would like to hook up. Also: I cannot ascertain through the Hauppauge homepage whether or not either of these cards have an S-Video output, which I figure might be an adequate halfway measure to improving the PC's picture quality.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What is the native resolution of the TV? A Windows desktop will always look poor unless you can output it as the same resolution as the display can handle, otherwise the display's scaler will royally screw-up digital fonts.

An RGB signal is a LOT better than composite. I've not had one of those adapters but it should be 'plug and go' as I understand it.

'Fraid I can't help concerning TV cards, I have no use for them and so know little about them.