1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC/Networking n00b with questions about setting up a PVR server

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by corinthos, Jun 4, 2005.

1. corinthos

corinthos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have one PC which does everything for me. It's a modest system running with an Athlon XP 1800+ on an NFORCE2 motherboard with 512MB of DDR333, and a 160GB 7200RPM HD.

I watch and record multiple shows (using 3 PVR-150's), listen to music, play DVDs, write Word documents, play games, and etc.

Anyway, I have 3 PVR-150 cards, 1 sound card, and an AGP video card in the system, leaving me with just 1 PCI slot free. Eventually, I will upgrade to a faster system, and I've noticed that the vast majority of new motherboards (AMD Socket 939 and Intel Socket T) has 3 or fewer PCI slots, since they now include PCI-E slots.
    So, when I build a new system, I won't be able to fit all of my PCI cards. I know one way around this is to get 2 PVR-500MCE cards, which will save me a PCI slot and give me an additional tuner, but I think I'd rather eventually have this current machine be a dedicated PVR server and network that to my new system, which I'll use for work and gaming.

Since I'm a total n00b when it comes to networking and HTPC, I'd like to know if what I want to do is possible: HTPC server box that contains all of my PVR-150 cards networked to my new main PC which would be able to seemlessly control the live TV and recording functions of the hardware in the HTPC server over the network without any quality or performance degradation, as if the PVR-150 cards were in the main PC.

I am considering doing this using MythTV (or VideoLan) and Linux, and would appreciate some info on whether this is possible and how to go about it.

Would a 10/100 Network card be good for this or do I need one of those new gigabit ones? What other hardware would I need to set something like this up?
    Lastly, if I opt to go with a Windows-based solution, what software packages would do what I want? It seems like SageTV might be able to, and perhaps even the latest Beyond TV, but I"m not sure.

Would it be better to just get 2 PVR-500MCE and do everything from one PC, rather than setup a network? Or would there be some worthwhile advantages to a networked setup vs an all-in-one PC solution?

Any info you can provide will be much appreciated!

2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I believe mythTV would allow this relatively easily. I think you could setup the old box as a server and then just use the other PC as a front end. Not actually tried it but this is probably the most cost effective option to explore.