• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HTPC/NAS Haswell build

hubble

Novice Member
Looking to make my first pc/htpc build ever, so i have been extra careful to research everything for the last few months and save up for the parts i need in the meantime.

What im looking to build is an all in one htpc/nas that will be located in the main tv viewing room.

I want low power usage as it will be on most of the time and lots of space for a large library of tv and movies with the option to transcode to other devices throughout the house.

I want to future proof this build with the possibility of light gaming down the road have no need for dvd or blu ray.

Will be using windows 7 or 8 with xbmc and plex.

So far this is what i have come up with:

Silverstone Grandia GD05 £80 - Stylish for the living room ( keeps the wife happy, quiet, decent room inside for build, usb 3.0 and plenty of storage.

Intel Core i5-4570S Haswell 2.9GHz LGA 1150 65W £120 -
Overkill some might say but its future proof and will do everything i need of it including transcoding to multiple devices also has a decent integrated graphics card added bonus of being less power hungry.

MSI H81M-E33 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard £40 - GUI Bios for easy set up, good reviews and cheap.

CORSAIR CSM Series CS450M 450W £54
- Haven’t researched enough on power supply but this psu is haswell ready and gold rated.

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD £54 - For the os.

Crucial 8GB £50 - Had not realised how much ram is gone up in price but this is the cheapest with the best reviews i could find.

WD Green 4TB - Low rpm saving on power usage, 1x 4tb to start off with.

So thats everything i think i need to have a fully built and capble htpc with the option of adding onto in the future.

Any suggestions or better prices on what i have found would be most welcome.

MadScientist

It looks OK, a problem I can see arising is that it won't be long before you run out of storage space since you say you have a large collection of films and TV shows. The case you have specified will only take 2 x HDs (in addition to your SSD) which will give you 8Tb. If you haved a number of BRs, then that space could go quite quickly.

If the HTPC is close to your listening position, fan noise and HD noise may also bother you.

Looks like a nice build though.

hubble

Novice Member
It looks OK, a problem I can see arising is that it won't be long before you run out of storage space since you say you have a large collection of films and TV shows. The case you have specified will only take 2 x HDs (in addition to your SSD) which will give you 8Tb. If you haved a number of BRs, then that space could go quite quickly.

If the HTPC is close to your listening position, fan noise and HD noise may also bother you.

Looks like a nice build though.

The next silverstone case up is the GD06 which has the 4 bays, thanks for pointing that out for some reason i thought the GD05 had 4.

Navvie

Why one machine? Most setups on here use a NAS/fileserver and a client HTPC where needed.
Taking the file storage/serving duties away from the HTPC means you'll be fine with a smaller, quieter, cheaper machine.

Why transcode? If you're generating all of your content (ripping discs) then pick a format that your clients can use. I use Matroska (MKV) and these are played back by MediaPortal no problem. Of course, things get a little more complicated if you have consoles, tablets, ipods or off-the-shelf media players.

I'd want at least a RAID1 for some sort of protection against drive failure... ripping and remuxing takes a long, long time. You don't want to do it again if you can avoid it.

hubble

Novice Member
Why one machine? Most setups on here use a NAS/fileserver and a client HTPC where needed.
Taking the file storage/serving duties away from the HTPC means you'll be fine with a smaller, quieter, cheaper machine.

Why transcode? If you're generating all of your content (ripping discs) then pick a format that your clients can use. I use Matroska (MKV) and these are played back by MediaPortal no problem. Of course, things get a little more complicated if you have consoles, tablets, ipods or off-the-shelf media players.

I'd want at least a RAID1 for some sort of protection against drive failure... ripping and remuxing takes a long, long time. You don't want to do it again if you can avoid it.

Building one machine saves power and money on buying and building two machines as well as more management with two devices. Space is not a problem once its not a tower as i plan to build a entertainment unit to suit my needs. Noise wouldnt be an issue at the distance from the tv as all these parts are mostly optimized for quiet usage and i can also add decent silent fans if needed.

Transcoding because i have a few TB of different file formats, clients would be 360, tablets and wd player.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom