HTPC Motherboard with HDMI output

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by atothej, Sep 16, 2007.

1. atothej

atothej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi All - I am looking for a Micro-ATX motherboard with a HDMI output for a HTPC PC I'm going to attempt to build.

My choice so far is the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI: AMD 690G (details here)

But this dooesn't have a HDMI output, so does anyone know of a Micro-ATX motherboard that does? I only want one with HDMI out to make things easier when setting up with my cheapo wharfedale 26" LCD TV....

Any recommendations/solutions greatly appreciated...

2. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,539
  3. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Just out of interest, why not go for a seperate graphics card. Is there a particular reason that you want the grahics onboard?

Seems that you may be limiting your options, that's all.

Dan.

4. atothej

atothej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the replies guys - its nice to know that theres people in the know!

Dogzilla - Thaks for the advice - would I be right in thinking that the Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD motherboard is only compatible with Pentiums? Sorry if thats a dense question, but I am new to all this - are there any major differences between AMD & Pentiums?

Dan - The only reason I am not getting a seperate graphics card is becvause I'm a tight - a r s e and don't want to fork out on one! I'm not planning on watching HD content yet, so didn't think there was any need for one - please correct me if I'm wrong....

Andy

5. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,539
    Yeah, indeed it is a board for the intel chips. If you are working on a budget, I would recommend looking at the following dual core cpu

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-152-IN

Paired with 2gb DDR2, this processor packs a punch and is very well priced. The overclocking possibility's of this cpu are also excellent.

Am I right in thinking you are looking purely for a media centre and are not interested in gaming?

I am sure many would disagree with me :) But I feel you are getting more for your money with the intel dual cores now, I have nothing against AMD but I feel intel are winning the cpu battle at this moment

6. Spinke

Spinke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I was under the impression the M2A-VM HDMI had a native output, guess not. F-I90HD is the only other one I know of, will have a quick hunt though!

[Edit]MSI K9AGM2 FIH looks to have a native HDMI port on the AM2 platform.

7. h-meister

h-meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DogzillaNL
    Seeing as you have built a few systems using this mobo, wonder if you can shed some light on these comments I read on the overclockers reviews page of the Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD ATI Micro ATX motherboard
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-125-AB&tool=3

Q1) "RAID controller is not yet supported under Vista (or have you not setup any like this)"
    Q2) "Though you cant get it to optical and hdmi at the same time you have to choose which is fine)"

I am also about to build an HTPC and I am thinking of getting this case
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=383009
    using the mobo you mention a Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD ATI Micro ATX any comments?

The HTPC will not be for games as i have an xbox360 :), but I did think about getting an ati 2600xt gfx card, however I doubt this would fit? opinions...

What sort of cooler / heatsink do you use in your builds>

To be fair id be interested in what you are specing out for your latest HTPC / previous builds (i guess it depends upon space, budget, technology advancements etc)..

thanks
    Brad

8. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Still consider a seperate graphics card and use DVI output running to an HDMI adapter. My graphics card cost me £30 (XFX GeForce 8400GS) and an adapter would cost approx £5 to max £10. My card does full HD 1920x1080 and also I got a free component-out dongle from the manufacturer on enquiry so my system runs entirely through my AV reciever, providing better integration of the system as a whole.

Bear in mind if you don't want 3D Gaming as a priority, a Fatality board is likely to be overkill and you'll be paying out for a more expensive board than you need (and one that pays a licensing fee for Fatality's gamer name being applied to it too, though probably a small fee).

Just my 2p.

Dan.

9. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,539
    To answer what I can, I have never used a raid setup in anything I have built, have just tried to keep these systems simple. This was my latest build which I made for my father.

[​IMG]

I was unsure of how the onboard graphics would cope but they are mode than adequate for the purpose, like you, I have a 360 so games were never a consideration with my builds. In the long run, I will probably look into upgrading a few bits.

The Antec case I chose came with a 380 watt PSU and 2 internal fans. For the moment, they are doing the job very well, I can playback downloaded HD files with no stuttering or problems of any note. IF I get round to inserting an independent graphics card, I will replace the stock cooler and def get a better PSU, before tinkering with overclocking, I would go for a better psu and cooling system.

Best advise I can give you is not to over spec, you can spend hundreds on all kinds of things but if you are looking for merely a web browser and a means of playing back media, you can do this for £400. People cannot believe what that system cost to build.

10. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    HP Compaq DC 7100 SFF
    Base spec:
    3.2Ghz P4
    512Mb RAM
    40Gb SATA HDD
    In-built Intel Graphics
    £160, 2 years old, boxed and unused (HP Business desktops normally have a 3yr onsite warranty and I still have a whole year left on mine:D)

Upgraded:
    Added 1Gb Crucial-branded Memory £40
    GeForce XFX 8400GS graphics card with VGA, DVI, Component and s-video outputs £30
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio Soundcard £25
    500Gb SATA HDD £65
    20x DVDRW £20
    Logitech DiNovo high-end Wireless Keyboard & Mouse combo £70

That's £410 total, £340 if you don't include the over-the-top keyboard/mouse combo I bought.
    [​IMG]

Does full HD 1920x1080 inc through component, excellent quality audio, fast, plenty of USB ports, small form cfactor goes nicely into AV setup and one of the most reliable and widely-used business machines available. Top that off with likely still having 1yrs onsite warranty on and personally I've not seen a better option for me.

Got mine about 6 weeks ago and it's been fantastic. Excuse the big pic, couldn't locate a small one of decent quality.

Dan.

11. h-meister

h-meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dankeech, DogzillaNl,
    Thanks for the updates, I think what you did with the screenshot DogZillaNL was really useful and helps alot for people who just want to a buy components and know they work.

Personally I have a few criteria:
    I am looking for a case that is no higher than 17.5cm (thats the height of my cabinet shelf), the reason i like the SilverStone LC20B-M is that it just about fits (0.5cm spare!) and it looks big enough to hold a separate gfx card long term. i.e. as gfx cards become more advanced with more advanced connectors.
    I can handle most of the other memory / hard disk components but my biggest confusion is around the best motherboard and gfx card (inbuilt or buy an extra one) and HDMI / HD playback. Basically like every other user I am trying to future proof (as best as possible at this point in time)... and its a very confusing world out there ..its moved on from edo memory and scart :) I was just reading another article about a user who just bought the fatality card and it aparently only does hdmi 1.2 and he is connecting it to an AV receiver which only does hdmi 1.3. See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617860

Long term i want to connect to an AV receiver so I guess one of my other questions is, do you both connect them up to AV receivers..? If so which ones? And apart from this forum any other good links you can recommend regarding HTPC's and hdmi connectivity / HD playback. e.g. i was only reading today that nvidia have something called PureVideo? geez its confusing..

12. u.s

u.s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this board comes with an expansion card (goes into the grapgics card slot) that has hdmi port, you can see the card in the picture from the amazon link.

13. atothej

atothej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    U.S - You are absolutely right - it does have an HDMI port as an expansion card! That has saved me a lot of hassle in looking at new motherboards, graphics cards etc.... Thanks very much!

14. peebee01

peebee01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've started looking into this as well. I want to upgrade my current htpc as the athlon 1800 is not really capable of playing ripped HD DVDs, plus I would like to move up to Vistas Media Center, as I like it's looks better.

Don't want to spend too much so started looking intp Athlon X2 4200 processors and found that both Nvidia and AMD recently released chipsets with low power consumption and integrated HDMI / DHCP video output. The chipsets are 7050v from Nvidia which supports purevideo and AMDs 690G which supports Avivo, both are intended to provide hardware decoding of HD video.

Video quality is most important to me, don't care about 3D gaming, that's what the XBOX360 is for. However, it's difficult to choose between the two as I can't find a decent comparison between the two in terms of video quality.

mATX Boards that support these chipsets are ABIT AN-M2HD (Nvidia), MSI K9AG2 (690G).
    Given that my htpc case supports ATX boards as well, I'm considering buying MSI K9AG Neo Digital as it provides both HDMI and DVI outputs. So far I had issues with the HDMI connection between my sat receiver and philips LCD, so like to have DCI as a back up.

If anyone has more detail or links on hardware decode capability differences for h.264, WMVHD, etc. I would love to know.

15. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    any chipsets that support hd audio over hdmi? i dont see the point in forking out for a board until there is.....

16. BiffBoy

BiffBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Dan,

Do you think that your PC with an added Blu-Ray drive would be fast enough to play BR-Disk´s as I think this is an excellent route to take?

17. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I'm probably going to add a drive myself round christmas time.

The Graphics card (additional one I bought) supports hardware Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Decoding onboard, so I fully expect it to decode nicely. Saying that, I haven't tried but my setup ticks all the right boxes to do so.

Any more questions about what I'd posted should probably go on a new thread, I don't want to hijack this one. Start a new thread in 'Computer Systems' and pm me the link and I'm happy to go into more depth.

Cheers.

Dan.

18. peermac

peermac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=657883

19. hamphlet

hamphlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, as has already been said, this board does have HDMI output via the daughterboard which comes with it. I put a PC together with it last week & it's fine except for the HDMI which is where I have a couple of issues.

Firstly, I have the PC hooked up to a plasma Panasonic TH42PX60. The picture comes through but there is no sound. I've enabled it in the BIOS but to no great effect. There doesn't seem to be anything in the menus on the TV which would help either. I can get sound from the PC via the usual green jack plug socket in the back though, so I know the sound card is working.

The other problem relates to the picture. No matter what resolution I select I cannot get the picture to go right to the edge of the screen. It's either too large or too small. I've tried it at the TV's resolution of 1024 X 768 but this results in black borders too.

So, does anyone have any ideas to help. I'm running Windows XP.

Cheers