HTPC Motherboard / CPU Combo advice?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Tomodan, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Tomodan

Tomodan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am about to build myself an HTPC and would really appreciate the benefit of your advice and experience. I have spent quite some time trawling this forum and also the AVS forum (amongst others) and have gained a huge ammount of info about how to set things up, which Blu-ray drive etc but the one thing I am struggling to understand is the "backbone" question

Which motherboard / CPU combo do I need?

I need to do the following:

Play Blu-ray / HD DVD (I have a drive in mind for this)
    Play Free to air sat including HD (I have a tuner card in mind for this)
    Play FLAC audio files (via my AV reciever)
    Play my archived DVD collection (stored as MPEG files)

I Alrteady have a DVD drive, 1TB HDD and a HTPC Case which will take Micro ATX and Full size ATX.

Any advice on the best Motherboard / CPU combo to meet my needs would be hugely appreciated. I have searched the forum but alot of the info very detailed but is hard to decifer for my simple mind so a simple recomendation would be fantastic!

Cheers

Tom

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Very common on here and with good reason is the 780g chipset motherboard and AMD 4850e or 5050e processors... the motherboard does pretty much everything for you, onboard decoding, HDMI out, optical out... will handle 1080p files, Blu Ray (inc HDCP) etc

Processor is the energy efficient variant, handy for a machine likely to be on a lot.

More info on my thread and what i bought, including the best BD/HD player in my opinion... the TV card is excellent too, but rare outside of eBay:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/8675476-post22.html