1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC mobo upgrade opinions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I'm thinking of upgrading my HTPC from its present PIII configuration to a P$ : this is promarily to handle HD content although games playing will be an issue this time round too.

Considering an asus P4C800 deluxe and a 3.2 1M cache P4 cpu.
    Probably 1Gb of ddr400 too.

The only reason I'm hesitating is to see what the advent of PCI-express will do to the market.

Any thoughts?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Nothing wrong with the choice of mobo or chip, but I have 3 of the cheaper P4P800's with 2.6_800 with a 20% overclock to 3.13 using Corsair xms 3500 ram. I've got three of these machines been running like this for the 6 months that I have had them. It could save you a few quid?

Edit to add, I also have a 2.8 Prescott in the same board in my server machine in the garage. I originally bought it to go in my desktop machine, but the extra fan noise generated by the hotter 1mb core was too much to bear in the machine right next to me.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Ah good point about the hotter core: I was toying with the idea of swapping the reserator on my workstation over to the HTPC and using the HTPC quiet fans on the workstation. Only problem is having to put the reserator almost level with the HTPC.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The 2.6 at 3.13 in my htpc with a thermaltake sp94 and a 92mm panaflo, 120mm nexus psu runs 47 degrees at full load with the cpu fan slowed to 1300rpm using a zalman "thingy". This machine is virtually silent.

The one in my desk with a retail fan and an enermax psu runs about the same temps but with the cpu fan running at 2200 rpm, not silent but reasonable. When I tried the 2.8 prescott in it, with its stock fan, it would only clock to 3.0 and the fan ran at 4500rpm at idle.

I dont know exactly how this corresponds to performance figures but a no brainer with noise which is why i moved the prescott chip to out of earshot. While I'm sure the reserator does the job, it seems like quite a hassle if you want to move/tweak/configure the machine?

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Probably what I'll do is construct the machine using the current fans ( a couple of 90mm at their lowest settings and a silenx drawing air in at the front)

The 1.4 s PIII cpu in it at the moment can get into the low 70s when its hammered ! Its stable though and I'm led to believe the server chips run quite hot anyway.

I suspect the 3.2 prescott won't be any hotter than the crispy P3 in use ( possibly it might even be cooler)

If it is I'll get the reserator on it ( or another watercooling system possibly). I know the 2.4 P4 in my workstation will run fine on the fans although I'll have to reinstall the fan on the 9800XT as its also on a waterbock ( this is well noisy): actually I'll probably drop the 9800 XT into the HTPC and get another cheapeer card for the workstation. ( my geforce 2 GTS 32M actually runs some packages better than the ATI one anyway).

Once the HTPC is upgraded I doubt I'll be tweaking it for a while.