HTPC Mobo Recommendations: ATX

Simba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i dont really upgrade the mobo in my computers very often, i like to make them last as far as reasonable however i feel its time to replace my current Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

I now use my computer in a HTPC type setup using XBMC so not really into gaming.

I would like something with as many of USB 3.0 ports and SATA 3 as possible - i have a mix of HDD and SSD sata 2 and 3 drives running on sata 1 just now so not making the most of them. Il be using WD Red, WD Black and Samsung EVO 240 (primary boot)

A good reliable Gigabit ethernet controller is a must - dont need wifi.

My current video card is a modded ATI HIS 5850 1 gb with a twin turbo pro cooler so dead silent. its overkill i know but its fine for just.

Onboard audio DACS im not too fussed about as i would bitstream the audio anyway.

Never really kept up with PCI Express tech, but i saw there is SATA Express and M2 which could be useful on the long term.

Basically id like a board with fast controllers for my drives, no gaming needs and as many usb 3 ports. Not sure if Z97 is the way to go for the long run.

Dont think i need anything else lol.

Last edited:
I would suggest a Z97 or B97, Gigabyte have some superb boards going!

I would suggest a Z97 or B97, Gigabyte have some superb boards going!

Hi mate I ended up getting the Asrock Z97 Extreme6

Need to choose a cpu now...

One thing though I like to do the odd video encoding of my blu ray rips so I'm guessing quad core is the way to go.... Currently use a Q8400

I4670k or new devils canyon ?

Hi mate I ended up getting the Asrock Z97 Extreme6

Need to choose a cpu now...

One thing though I like to do the odd video encoding of my blu ray rips so I'm guessing quad core is the way to go.... Currently use a Q8400

I4670k or new devils canyon ?

Yeah, here in the UK (don't know if your here or somewhere else), the new Devil's Canyon is only 1 pound more than the Haswell, so it's a no-brainer really.

Thinking of getting a g3258 for the time being....reckon it should be more than enough for what I need ....seems to be better than the q8400 in benchmark charts

Thinking of getting a g3258 for the time being....reckon it should be more than enough for what I need ....seems to be better than the q8400 in benchmark charts

I guess that would be fine for the time being as long as you're not doing any heavy gaming.

I guess that would be fine for the time being as long as you're not doing any heavy gaming.

More than enough, you can play 1080p with a G1840 and on intel on board graphics! I'd get the G3258, I find encoding on my i3 4330 fine, and that is similar to the G3258, and i5 really would be overkill for an HTPC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom