HTPC / Media Server / Gaming Rig

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by P Zero, Jan 2, 2007.

1. P Zero

P Zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I've been looking round the forum for a couple of days now looking for ideas, but I seem to have a somewhat unique spec that I want to build. I want to build a rackmount machine that will live in a built in cupboard in my living room. Its a large cupboard so cooling shouldnt be a problem. I want to move the majority of my AV gear into the cupboard too so its all out of site, then hang my 37" Toshiba on the wall and get rid of my AV stand.

The HTPC I want to build will have a permanent DVI or HDMI connection to my TV, but I also want to run an 8" or 10" touchscreen that I can keep on the table next to the sofa for controlling the whole thing instead of using a remote. I will also keep a wireless keyboard and mouse in the cupboard that I can take out for gaming or browsing, etc. The touchscreen, keyboard and mouse can also be used for system admin in the cubboard.

Will I be able to view two different things on the main TV and touchscreen? ie, watching a movie from the HTPC on the TV, while using a web browser on the touchscreen?

The HTPC will also be my server for all my media and work files and a printer. It will also have to accept one incoming VPN connection for my business partner to access the work stuff. I am looking at fitting a mirrored raid array with between 500gb to 1tb of useable space. It will be always switched on, unless I go on holiday or something.

So far, I havent specced much gear. I will need 5.1 digital audio to connect to my amp, and I'm looking at a GeForce 7600GS for graphics. I want to build it in a rackmount case so I can mount it properly in the cupboard with my patch panel and router.

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for some views on whether this is a viable project, and if so can anyone make any recommendations or give me any tips on how to make this work well.

Thanks, Chris.

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yeah, that's just standard dual display, any modern NVidia card can do it easily.

As for the rest, all sounds very viable. Once you decide to put the box out of sight, you ease the building process considerably - no need for fancy HTPC cases with all the problems they create.