HTPC is just to big

Swiss Tone

Standard Member
Hi guys need some help with regards what to do with my setup.

Please note i do make reference to downloading of Films/TV Shows + a Jailbroken device...hope this isn't against the forum rules :-/

Background-

Currently I have Sky HD 1TB on the Full Package, 1/2 price offer coming to an end in April, but really havent used it for its full potential, as I download Movies and if i can in DTS, Sports I go out and watch, I Watch/Record Sky 1 and Sky Atlantic a bit and all terrestrial HD channels, on the whole all from recordings though (I would download these if need be)

I also love to take lots of photos, and the 3TB setup below is currently storing around 1TB of photos and 1TB of BluRay/DTS films

I have BT Infinity 2 60mb Down / 23mb Up

I have an Apple TV 2 (Jailbroken)

I have an Xbox 360 S (for what its worth in this thread?)

I have a Cheapish Sony 5.1/DTS Amp with Coax/Optical inputs only

I have a custom built HTPC from 3 years ago details as follows -

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 GOLD XTC Memory Kit CL5(5-5-5-18)
AMD Athlon X2 5050e Socket AM2 45W Energy Efficient Retail Boxed Processor
LG Electronics Blu-Ray & HD-DVD-Rom Combo 16x DVDRW Black SATA
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM
Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB 32MB 5400RPM 3.5 inch SATA-II Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Sapphire HD5450 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card
Antec Fusion Remote Veris Silver MATX Media Center Case
Antec EarthWatts 500W 80%+ Efficiency PSU - 80mm Fan 4x SATA 2x PCI-E
Windows 8 Premium
Logitech Harmony One+ Universal remote control
Samsung LE40A656 40in LCD 1080p (Non 3D/Smart TV)
Cannon 550d + a couple L lenses

Think i've included everything, at certain points over the last 3 years I've had a varying setup of Freeview, Freeview HD and Freesat cards but have now sold them all as I've not used them in the past 9 months since having SKY again and if i needed to once i 'should' get rid of sky and revert back to this, I will probably buy the latest Black and Gold FreeviewHD/FreesatHD all in one card.

But what I find is that the Antec case is too big (long/deep and height), I look inside and see gaps and space, so my question is can I, relatively cheaply (say £100+TV Card), ditch/sell the case and get a smaller one (suggestions please, prefer neat unfussy options, a display on the case isn't important but an inbuilt IR receiver would be) and what would i need to upgrade change etc, i.e. motherboard size for a smaller case and if i need to upgrade anything ?? etc etc

Or could I ditch the whole HTPC thing and convert it into a NAS type thing, download what i wana watch and stream via my ATV2 onto XMBC (also have Icefilms on the ATV2)

Any help would be greatly appreciated !! :)

Cheers,
Charlie.

jameson_uk

But what I find is that the Antec case is too big (long/deep and height), I look inside and see gaps and space, so my question is can I, relatively cheaply (say £100+TV Card), ditch/sell the case and get a smaller one (suggestions please, prefer neat unfussy options, a display on the case isn't important but an inbuilt IR receiver would be) and what would i need to upgrade change etc, i.e. motherboard size for a smaller case and if i need to upgrade anything ?? etc etc
There are plenty of smaller cases but they would require switching to mini-itx which I don't think you could do for £100 including the case.

I basically have this in the bedroom and it is nice and small but once you add on the cost of a mini-itx board, a brick PSU etc you are going to be way over £100.

I have found myself look at the Intel NUC a few times which is tiny but it isn't cheap and no internal IR or TV card.

paspoard

Standard Member
I use one of these from Novatech only £50, although the PSU isn't the quietest, once the audio system is wound up you don't hear it. Also the nasty Novatech badge comes off easily with a hairdryer and a store card.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom