HTPC, is it worth it?

stevomacca

Standard Member
What with the impending arrival of high def becoming mainstream in PC's over the next few years, is it worth splashing out a grand on an HTPC knowing that you'll have to replace alot of it's parts to be fully HD compliant?

M

moullas

1k if you are refering to gbp are alot mate very

currently im in the process of building an htpc and so far my costs are around 500-600 gbp and with the way its going in the future only thing i will need to change/add is a gfx with hdmi and everything will be fine

also consider that i live in Cyprus which the shipping costs are killing me if you live in the uk/us the 500/600gbp i mentioned might even be less.

but ofc always depends on your taste and what you choose mate.

i would suggest you check out the nsk2400 or the antec fusion case ( they are the same thing just the second has a vfd ) or the silverstone lc04 or coolermaster rc-260, check the asus m2npv-vm motherboard which has an onboard GeForce 6150 on board sound, heres the link for more specs
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=0&model=1138&modelmenu=1

well this to get you started

dan1979

As above the graphics card is the only thing you'll have to upgrade to cover the new formats assuming you buy a fast enough PC.

Nvidia already has a card out with HDCP though it's pricey.

Besides all that when have PC's ever lasted more than 'a few years'

Rambles

Distinguished Member
stevomacca said:
What with the impending arrival of high def becoming mainstream in PC's over the next few years, is it worth splashing out a grand on an HTPC knowing that you'll have to replace alot of it's parts to be fully HD compliant?
It sort of depends if you have the money, and if you will use and enjoy the HTPC from now. The good thing about HTPC is that you can upgrade them infinitely, and if you are lucky can sell the old components and get a few quid back.

stevomacca

Standard Member
ok, that's grand, i'll just start the spec'ing up of my machine.
i just thought i'd read somewhere that the mobo had to be HD aswell.
ye, no real need to worry, i'm not gonna use it as tv tuner or nothing so just dvds & mp3s so should be able to get a good one for £550.
cheers

Top Bottom