HTPC- Is it the best solution?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fabryuk, Feb 17, 2002.

1. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading numerous posts about, progressive scan, deinterlacer, scaler, PJ. I finnaly came out with one conclusion, In order to get the best picture of your PJ without spending a lot of extra money, and also if you want a computer in the living roon to play games, broadband connection, PS2 etc. It is best to invest in HTPC. I hope I am not offending any of the expert by saying this.

My dream PC does not beed to be too high spec though, as I only plays occasional games. Still I will use Radoen 7500 All in one, so I can use it as a VCR, capture picture, etc. There is still something I don't understand, but I will use IR keyboard / mouse rather than RF. Then buy a IRman and Pronto to control my computer rather than using keyboard. Other thiungs taht confuses me is sound card, which sound card can putput DD/DTS in windows XP?

Also, does anyone ever bought a IRman through US website?? can I buy it in UK?

2. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I believe Irman are based in the Netherlands and you can order direct from them.
    http://www.evation.com

Kevin

3. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I thought it is a US website

4. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    No I think they're in the Netherlands.Check out the Orders section.It lists Netherlands (Bank) as an option.International is Credit Card.
    There is a UK reseller if you prefer.
    http://intolect.com

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    fabryuk,

I want to comment on your preference for ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder. I've tried this card and its predecessors on several occasions in the past and always ended having to replace it.

The software supplied with it is true hit-and-miss affair. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Another reason to move away from analogue TV reception is general low quality picture quality. Currently, I use Hauppauge NOVA-T (PCI) that receives free-to-air digital terrestrial channels (about 12 of them). It is the best PQ I ever had on a PC.

AS a sound card I happily use M-Audio Delta Dio 24/96.

6. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all yout advice guys, much appreciated

7. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more question, those who have Irman, do you all use girder to control it?? or any one else use different software